Heat generated from the HDI exhaust system and modifing the stock exhaust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat generated from the HDI exhaust system and modifing the stock exhaust

Heat generated from the HDI exhaust system and modifing the stock exhaust

Heat from the exhaust system is one of the things that has plauged my Argo HDI since I have owned it. As a passenger you could feel the radiated heat from the engine and the exhaust system. When you opened the hood the radiated heat from the exhaust was very intense and I worried about damage to the plastic panels. Argo placed the hugh stock muffler right over the belt drive system and on hot days you could feel that expensive HDI belt start to slip and chatter.

Enough, a call to Robertson's torque tubes in S.D. got me a custom set of tubes with a two into one collector and an awesome disc muffler that makes that Kohler engine sound a lot like a Harley (sorry son-Mike owns and loves his Harley's)

Anyway, the new exhaust is in place and hopefully the heat issues will be resolved, I got a little more power out of the engine and the sound is really, really nice!

Nice sounding engine.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

It does sound good, but I would be concerned with catching that Muffler against a tree as I rubbed past. Any way to shorten it, or pull it back into the shroud just a bit?

(Not slamming it at all, I like it, just a concern I would have)

RD

I've never heard of a disc muffler, nor seen one. That's a nice compact and low resistance unit. I also like the headers very much as they eliminate the heat tank otherwise known as the muffler. The headers really clean up the engine compartment and should ease the effort to replace the belt as well.

Better even still to get another couple additional horse power from a package that runs cooler, and sounds great.

Very innovative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    It does sound good, but I would be concerned with catching that Muffler against a tree as I rubbed past. Any way to shorten it, or pull it back into the shroud just a bit?

(Not slamming it at all, I like it, just a concern I would have)

RD

Hey Doc, ya I have the same concern, but for now I am just going to watch it carefully, but in time it may have to be shortened up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I've never heard of a disc muffler, nor seen one. That's a nice compact and low resistance unit. I also like the headers very much as they eliminate the heat tank otherwise known as the muffler. The headers really clean up the engine compartment and should ease the effort to replace the belt as well.

Better even still to get another couple additional horse power from a package that runs cooler, and sounds great.

Very innovative.
    Hey Noel, the great thing about the disc muffler is-it is tunable! Add disc to lower back pressure, or remove disc to quiet the muffler down and increase back pressure.

very cool!

I like it. Kinda looks like Fmints influenced. Wish I woulda went that route on my max. Went with dual exhaust instead and it's a bit too loud.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    I like it. Kinda looks like Fmints influenced. Wish I woulda went that route on my max. Went with dual exhaust instead and it's a bit too loud.
    Yes, Fred was the one who gave me information and a link for this exhaust system. I always thought Fred's Hustler had a hopped up Briggs, I was quite surprised to find out it has a stock Kohler with an exhaust system much like mine made with pipes from the Robertson shop.I love the sound of that Kohler engine, now if I could just get another 1500 RPM out of it I might be happy for awhile.

hi
    Super Trapp sell weld on units 1 1/2, 1 3/4 inch allowing u to change discs etc to suit power /noise levels .For a bandalero engine [5600rpm 570cc] the 1 1/2 is ok . I do use a straight thru style muffler as well . Quietens engine well without being restrictive .The discs also serve as a spark arrestor . An engine can produce sparks. Nobody wants to set the brush on fire !!!!! The discs run hot ..
    Also ceramic coating on the header pipes will cut the radiant heat of the pipes by half .
    U can use fibre glass header wrap but remember this overheats the steel that much it crystalizes and the pipe goes brittle 6-12mth life span .
    Weld on or clamp on stainless heat shield is also an idea
    U could weld on stainless shield to take advantage of any air coming off the engine to cool the pipes. Waste hot air directed out of the body.
    tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 08-09-2014 at 04:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread