Cracks by headlights

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cracks by headlights

Cracks by headlights

Previous theories of cause:

Poor or excessive winching. This is a possibility but I repaired mine and the cracks returned without any winching operations.

Differences between the coefficient of expansion between the plastic body and the metal hoop around the hood. When there are cracks I have observed a slight temperature related variance in the width of the crack.

I have a new hypothesis. The observation:

In my re-engine project I had to get to the gas tank. This required me to remove the storage pan from under the seat. This pan fits between the vertical seat support that is attached to the frame and the seat frame that goes across the vehicle. Just sitting there isn't enough clearance on my conquest so to aid installation/removal I take a couple of bar clamps, turn them around to be spreaders, and lightly jack up from outside the vehicle at each end of the seat frame. This lifts the seat frame up a bit off of the supports and I can slide the pan right in. The other night I happened to walk around the front after having jacked it up as described and saw that the cracks were completely closed.

Mine:

As you can see it carries the aluminum framed top. It also has the internal winch hoop.

My theory is that this phenomenon is caused by the sides carrying a load pushing against the winch hoop at the center front. Basically, "droop" with a winch hoop; so any causes of "droop" would be suspect.

Saw your post and looked at my 2001 Conquest which I've owned for 3 months and is my firt Argo. I noticed a crack just above the right front headlight. Mine has the full rollcage with cargo rack and front winch hoop so you might be on the right track. The caveat is when I took delivery of the my Argo out of Colorado the previous owner snapped the winch hoop winching somthing or loading it onto the trailer after I bought it so for me that might also be the cause. How did you try to repair the cracks? And have you found a repair that's worked?

Vance

I welded mine a couple of years ago but the cracks came back and I had not used the winch.

Put a jack (or a strong buddy) under the body band on the crack side at about where the seat is and lift up just a bit to see if the crack closes.

I have the same problem on a 1998 Conquest. Cracks near both head lights. I haven't tried to fix them yet, but I was thinking about "stich wielding" then using a heat wielder to cover the stiches. Anyone tried this method? Other than that, there doesn't appear to be a permanent fix.

+ Reply to Thread