just picked up my first 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: just picked up my first 6x6

Hi ,
    Typical to any used 6x6
    Always Always allow for some work on a recently purchased 6x6
    Ball park figure allow $1000
    This should get u good bearings ,axles sorted out ,chains as required , tensioners repaired, engine and transmission serviced ,new cvt belt , be a good idea to service clutches [remove and inspect ]
    As long as u treat the whole machine as requiring a service and not just individual components ,I have found this is the best attitude to have. This yields the most reliable machine .
    A new body gasket for the upper and lower halves . Install small bolts every 4-6 inch and a new /used rubber rub rail . That will seal the body halves at least .

tomo

That upper is poly judging from the jagged cut, 1976 is the trans serial number which should also have 1.2 or 3 letters ( such as G, GA, CHK, etc.).Post the pictures of the holes if possible, if the factory muffler is gone and you have a hole about 12x7 you'll need a large piece of poly. Good luck with it.
    It is an early 70's machine, with the fuel filler on the left side. Does it have 1-1/4 axles and are the 3 bolt or 5 bolt hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    That upper is poly judging from the jagged cut, 1976 is the trans serial number which should also have 1.2 or 3 letters ( such as G, GA, CHK, etc.).Post the pictures of the holes if possible, if the factory muffler is gone and you have a hole about 12x7 you'll need a large piece of poly. Good luck with it.
    It is an early 70's machine, with the fuel filler on the left side. Does it have 1-1/4 axles and are the 3 bolt or 5 bolt hubs?
    well it definitly has 3 lug hubs and the factory muffler is still intact just not hooked up. for some reason i think it says 1976x on the trans but ill check tomorrow. i have the hub off and i checked the inner diameter to be 1" not 1-1/4"

X is possible on the trans, with one inch axles it's probably 74-75.
    3 bolt rims? Serial number was on a tag that was on the firewall, think it was still a sticker then and not the riveted ser. no. plate, so probably gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    X is possible on the trans, with one inch axles it's probably 74-75.
    3 bolt rims? Serial number was on a tag that was on the firewall, think it was still a sticker then and not the riveted ser. no. plate, so probably gone.
    It has 3 bolt wheels. I'm going to more pictures in a little bit. Would the tub be high density poly or low density poly? Thanks for all of your help.

Here are the pics as promised.
    hole in lower tub for oil drain

and the holes in the upper tub

the transmission does have 1976x marked on it

hi
    Use the holes as a template. They look as if a holesaw has done them .Measure diameter ,cut accordingly . Not great u have the holes but the shape could have been alot worse . Place patches in and chamfer patch and hole . This should come out fairly well considering .

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi
    Use the holes as a template. They look as if a holesaw has done them .Measure diameter ,cut accordingly . Not great u have the holes but the shape could have been alot worse . Place patches in and chamfer patch and hole . This should come out fairly well considering .

tomo
    thanks for the advice. What would you use to weld it back together? Is it worth it to buy a plastic welder?

hi
    Similar procedure to a point for all materials f/glass, poly etc
    My own I swapped a top from a wreck . The original top was really badly melted ,faded bad and generally abused . The hole repair experience came from the super swamp fox [f /glass] .Other members on the site will give u pointers on welders ,material etc to poly .
    Maybe in the future a later model top in good condition will fit ,ask the members if other tops will fit .

tomo

So, yesterday my son and I went for a trail ride. It needs new chains and bearings for sure. Good news is I hit it with the power washer and most of the black latex paint came off the upper tub. It's starting to look like a real 70's argo again. I think that i may do a retro look on this project. Upgrade the axles and bearings but keep the red with white wheels deal.
    Last edited by blazin674; 09-02-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added picture

+ Reply to Thread