just picked up my first 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: just picked up my first 6x6

just picked up my first 6x6

Hey everyone, my name is Brandon. We just picked up this Argo from a friend of mine. It has the number 1976 stamped on the transmission. Would that be an indication of the model year? I traded my tig welder plus $600, roughly $1500 total. I've owned it for three days and have already redone the exhaust. Is there any way to patch the holes in the upper tub?

That 23HP Briggs looks pretty new.

For the body, if it is HDPE, you can plastic weld it. One of the Argo experts should be able to tell you what the body is. I would assume it was HDPE but it could be ABS.

the engine is brand new that is the main reason for me buying it. today i broke the pins in the axle. Is there any permanent fix for this issue?

Yes their is an almost permanent fix for the pins use a Bolts and nuts. I use a 5/16 grade eight steel bolt in place of the pins. I run my argo pretty hard and I have yet to break a bolt hope this helps

The permanent fix is splined axles. The cheaper route is pulling the sprockets and axles and having keys inserted.
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

You will have to look around but somone was buying super strong pins from some place. I used grade 8 bolts with the threads cut off the bolt and a hole for a cotter pin drilled in the end.
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

hi
    Good engine ...
    Another subject ,on some surfaces those knobby type tires will grip real well . Depending on how u operate your 6x6 ""some times to well ""making steering a chore .
    If this is happening v lug / chevron pattern will help .
    Depending upon swimming needs a v lug /chevron will also be a good idea .

Are u going to be entering water? Just concerned about water entry around the exhaust .
    tomo

Well I would love new tires, but I cant afford them right now. Yesterday I moved the exhaust it now exits through the vent on the left side of the tub. This tub is not water worthy. It has a hole above the right center tire and one right in the center of the tub to drain the oil. These early argos were not meant to have v-twins stuffed into them.

Hi blazing, for those holes you can try..bolts, nuts and washers. Insert bolt with washer through outside of tube and slip a washer and nut on from inside with gasket seal or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rck90 View Post
    Hi blazing, for those holes you can try..bolts, nuts and washers. Insert bolt with washer through outside of tube and slip a washer and nut on from inside with gasket seal or similar.
    thanks for the help but unfortunately they are gaping holes some of them over 2" in diameter. does anyone know if the tubs are abs or polyethylene on these models?

+ Reply to Thread