Couple questions about my Argo Vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Couple questions about my Argo Vanguard

Couple questions about my Argo Vanguard

I have a 1994 Argo Vanguard. Ive had it for a few months and I am pretty impressed by the machine. It runs pretty good and goes places I never imagined it could. I have a couple questions for you guys with more experience with them. I can't change gears without shutting it off. It seems the primary clutch engages at a very low rpm. I have to start it in the gear I want and hold the levers back because it will start rolling slowly as soon as I start it. I assume this isnt normal. Also is it normal to feel the chains rub on the floor? They seem to rub a bit durning tight turning manuvers. Plus it is a noisy machine lol . I'm not exactly sure what noises are normal and what ones aren't. Thanks in advance for the input.

Glad you are enjoying your new machine. You are correct, that is not normal. I've not experienced this with mine. But the first thing thing that comes to mind is high idle. Does it seem to be running at a high idle? My machine runs at a very low idle.
    As far as the chain slap. That is normal. Although you still should check for stretched chains.

Your engine needs to be idling to shift gears Sounds like your machine idle is turned up too high.
    I just bought one that I may need to rebuild the carb on it does not idle at all but the engine runs great otherwise.

It seems to be idling low. Ill have to see if I can adjust it lower. Maybe a carb rebuilt is in order.

rck90 check that you have some play in the cable, engine won't idle if the cable is taught and spray all the linkages, you may also want to loosen the 2 bolts holding the governor plate and twist it one way and the other ( just the slop in the bolt holes). Some had a high and low limit screw on gov. plate. It only takes a hair on Kawasaki's to cause high idle.

Quote Originally Posted by montess85 View Post
    It seems to be idling low. Ill have to see if I can adjust it lower. Maybe a carb rebuilt is in order.
    Does it have an Argo 125-56 belt on it?

hi ,
    High idle is common and u must must have the engine manual and an infared tacho to adjust the idle.
    Overhaul/ cleanout maybe required of the fuel system [carb, lines ,filter ,tank ]
    Less likely is an incorrect or a worn out belt

tomo

i will check the belt. Im not sure what it is. And my idle seems pretty low.

Thanks is I'll try that? took me awhile to read this...

Argojim, I just caught that you were talking about the Kwai engine. The argo I metioned is my other one. A 2004 vanguard, 16 hp b&s.

+ Reply to Thread