Avenger 750 EFI Fuel Filter Replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Avenger 750 EFI Fuel Filter Replacement

I don't think a low pressure pump will work on the EFI.

hi
    U can purchase an EFI fuel pump with similar/same specs and retro fit
    40 psi is common
    the flow rate should not be a problem [donot purchase a holley blue pump ha ha ha [way to big ]]
    12volt
    connections similar to original [or at least close so u can modify ]
    U can purchase in tank or external types
    eg 12v external inline with connections/flow/pressure of choice

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    I don't think a low pressure pump will work on the EFI.
    Ooops, sorry. Forgot that I was discussing an Avenger.

RD

Thanks guys.....I am trying to source a new fuel pump.....no problem finding the pumps, but it seems hard to find specs on them....ie. flow rate and psi.

Does the flow rate (gph) matter?

Does it have to be 40 psi, or just minimum 40 psi??? Will the in-line fuel regulator ensure that the output is adjusted to the proper psi?

Thx. Rick

Yes, the flow rate matters. The specs for your engine will list both a pressure and a flow rate and from there we can determine a pump that will work. Check out how I did this for a Kawasaki in this post.

{EDIT}

Okay, now I know why you were asking that question. I found the service manual for the Kohler Aegis LH 775 engine and couldn't find a flow requirement anywhere in there. I guess they assume you'll just buy the fuel pump from them.

Anyway, the flow is a function of the fuel used up by the engine. The pump needs to flow enough so that the engine can take what it needs and the regulator can maintain 39 PSI. The HP of that engine is a tiny bit more than the HP rating of mine (which did have a flow metric listed) so if we assume, say, 40GPH at 39PSI for yours...

gsl391-psi.jpg

I would guess that the Walbro GSL391 would probably work. No guarantees. I would personally try and track down the real flow rate to be sure. Of course Walbro says that this is enough pump for 350+ HP so there probably isn't anything to worry about there. And there's more - the flow rate I have is from the service manual and engineers usually list here a value that is in excess of the actual consumption of the engine so you might easily get by with the GSL393 (like I have) which will run 40PSI at less than 5 amps where the GSL391 shows 40PSI at 6+ amps.

Walbro inlines

For me, the Kawasaki fuel pump was so expensive that I could be wrong twice and still be money ahead. I see that at ArgoParts.com the Kohler pump is $212 so it looks like you get to be wrong once.
    Last edited by JohnF; 09-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks John...that is some Great Information!!

I searched high and low and could not find the flow rate.....I will try and call Kohler!

The Walbro option sounds good at $125.

ARGO Dealer wants $299 + tax here in Canada.....sound I could mess this up three times

The weird thing is that the original fuel pump died immediately after I changed the fuel filter.......I just can't understand that???

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    The weird thing is that the original fuel pump died immediately after I changed the fuel filter.......I just can't understand that???
    Filter on the suction side or pressure side? (or maybe both?)

That is weird. Are you sure it isn't sucking air or collapsing a tube? Did you check that the pickup wasn't plugged? Did you try pumping from one bottle to another?

Hi
    At idle most automotive applications 40psi and 1/2 gallon actual flow FYI [typical bosch multi point inj ]
    To much flow is a big no in the application .
    Does the original pump have specs or part nos on the outside . There maybe at least the brand name written on the body
    Argo should give the operational specs out for this unit as checking fuel pressure and flow is common when efi servicing

tomo

Filter on suction side.

Pick-up was clean, but replaced anyway......still no flow?

I will check pump and see what I can find.

+ Reply to Thread