1973 argo axle upgrade?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1973 argo axle upgrade?

1973 argo axle upgrade?

I have read a few threads stating that an upgrade would be to use splined axles. I did a search but can't seem to find any threads with anyone upgrading to them on a machine as old as mine. I'm not looking for a step by step guide, but just a thread with info that will point me in the right direction. Do any 6x6 gurus have any suggested threads I can read through pertaining to this? I've seen whippers how-to for the attex. How similar would it be on an argo? They are both 1" axles from the factory.
    Last edited by blazin674; 09-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blazin674 View Post
    How similar would it be on an argo?
    It would be the same basic process. You would have splined axles made and purchase new sprockets with the correct number of teeth on them to replace the ones you currently have. The sprockets can be positioned on the axles where needed to align the chains where they need to be.

When all is said and done, it's not a cheap process and depending on what your goals are with your Argo, you may be better off just finding a newer machine with splined axles. I definitely don't want to discourage you from upgrading but just weigh all of your options.

OOOOOH. 1" axles are kind of difficult. If my memeory serves me they are 3 bolt bearings..... And an up grade to 1.5" splined axles is not so great.... The frame gets reaaaalllly thin. My humble opinion is take the sprockets and axles (or maybe the front two) and have a machine shop cut key ways in them. They will add more material to the existing sprockets. I'm kind of dismayed they you can't find my build thread. I upgraded my 80s machine to splined axles... FYI your year and my year take an obsolete long front axle. Another cheaper option is to get grade 8 boots, cut the threads off, then drill a hole for a cotter key.... Then look for any Argo with hydraulic breaks insteads of mechanical. That will have enough meat on it to be more worth spending the time and money on.

Here is my build thread.... If I had to do it over I would have started with a newer machine. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...ll-others.html
    Last edited by spookum; 09-04-2014 at 08:47 PM.
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    OOOOOH. 1" axles are kind of difficult. If my memeory serves me they are 3 bolt bearings..... And an up grade to 1.5" splined axles is not so great.... The frame gets reaaaalllly thin. My humble opinion is take the sprockets and axles (or maybe the front two) and have a machine shop cut key ways in them. They will add more material to the existing sprockets. I'm kind of dismayed they you can't find my build thread. I upgraded my 80s machine to splined axles... FYI your year and my year take an obsolete long front axle. Another cheaper option is to get grade 8 boots, cut the threads off, then drill a hole for a cotter key.... Then look for any Argo with hydraulic breaks insteads of mechanical. That will have enough meat on it to be more worth spending the time and money on.

Here is my build thread.... If I had to do it over I would have started with a newer machine. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...ll-others.html
    Spookum, thanks for that link. For some reason it never came up in my searches. It might just be easier to buy a maxIV as a second 6x6. I was just wondering what was involved in the swap. I need new chains and bearing, so if it was worth doing I was going to do the axles at the same time. Thanks again.
    1973 Argo 6x6....23hp vanguard (project in the work)

That Argo will be a decent machine. If the budget is tight just pay to have keys put into the front axles. The pins are misrable to change in the front.

Another option is to key just the front and rear axles, and replace the middle sprocket with PVC pipe and a snap idle chain tensioner. The put light weight pro series tracks on it. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

With that 27 hp Briggs keys are going to be the way to go. Kits if rigs run then in Alaska. The KIDD tracked machines ran keys insteads of splined.... They weigh 4000# and had 4 cylander motors in them.
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

Years ago I just drilled another hole at 90 deg. from the factory one and then added another shear pin. Never had another problem in 12 years....so far.
    Ross

Do your axles currently have pinned on or welded on sprockets?

id have to check again but i believe that they are welded

Does whipper offer anything that might work? I'm going to build a set of tracks and bearing cages for this winter and would love to upgrade to a 5 lug non-pinned axle. This is what my hubs are looking like and they keep breaking grade 8 bolts. It's time for something stronger.

+ Reply to Thread