axle sizes and bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: axle sizes and bearings

axle sizes and bearings

Ok. In my recent searching for axle swap info, I've noticed that all the info is out there but just in a million different threads. Is anyone interested in helping compile info from different models and years into one sticky thread? I think if we measure the diameter, axle length, type, welded/pinned/splined, and year/model of you machine it would make it alot easier to find and use parts from other machines. Also if we can get some side by side pictures it would help forum members better understand and build their machines. We should also do something like that with bearings. Anyone else interested?
    1973 Argo 6x6....23hp vanguard (project in the work)

Argo bearings are pretty simple.....From the early 80's they used 1 1/4" axles and the bearings were 62mm outside dia. (outer bearings) Although with the new synthetics and HD bearings available, it just doesn't make sense to use anything else.
    Inner bearings and jackshaft bearings are all 1" i.d. and 62mm o.d. as far as I know.

I hope you weren't suggesting using used bearings? I'd much rather see you use new $13 cheapo bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Argo bearings are pretty simple.....From the early 80's they used 1 1/4" axles and the bearings were 62mm outside dia. (outer bearings) Although with the new synthetics and HD bearings available, it just doesn't make sense to use anything else.
    Inner bearings and jackshaft bearings are all 1" i.d. and 62mm o.d. as far as I know.

I hope you weren't suggesting using used bearings? I'd much rather see you use new $13 cheapo bearings.
    So, the bearings are imperial ID and metric OD ???

Yes...

All the "mis-alignment" Type bearings are that way. Mis-alignment meaning they have an outer that is spherical, so the mounting flanges don't have to be perpendicular to the axle.

Yep, familiar with self aligning bearings but can't find any reference to mixing imperial and metric units, it's one or the other. Puzzled now.

Most of the insert bearings for our machines do use both units: HC206-20 1-1/4" Cam Locking Insert Bearing Small OD

Edit: Check out this PDF from a bearing manufacturer called PTI: http://www.ptintl.com/_pti/files/3d/...32a9005f05.pdf

That gives you a side by side comparison of each bearing size. The "-20" at the end of the part number is 1/16" of an inch. So, 20*(1/16) = 1.25" If it were a metric ID, the part number would be something like HC206-25MM and the 25MM is obviously in MM.
    Last edited by Mike; 09-10-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added more info

hi Rodp
    Depending on which company u r looking at . It is rare that one single company does all bearing styles and types . Depends on which country u r in also .
    There are many different configurations of spherical bearings/self aligning bearings .
    Eg if u r using a self aligning bearing with a cast iron housing u have to make sure the grease groove is in align with the nipple in housing . Greasing will not work other wise .
    Eg U can purchase self aligning bearings as a complete unit with flange plates . These donot come apart . They have an inferior seal
    The biggest trap I also found is there is different 3 lip seals ,or at least a heavy duty seals that is promoted as such .
    There is also heavy and low drag triple lip seals .

Typically bearings are selected by bore size .
    The same bore may have different OD
    But first of all u must pick the correct style of bearing .This will spec material stainless /mild steel , seal type 2 lip or triple and locking type eccentric lock or grub screw, parallel outer or self locating. Single or double sided boss . etc etc

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post

i wasn't suggesting reusing bearings at all but, gathering info and pictures to show the actual difference between them. I was thinking about reusing good axles from other machines that are being parted out. The main reason for me wanting to start this thread was so we could show newer members the differences between the axles and bearings. All in one thread though not 400 threads.
    1973 Argo 6x6....23hp vanguard (project in the work)

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the axles are nearly as easy as the bearings...... Back to the mid 80's when Argo switched to splines, all the axles fit. The different locations on the machine have different flat spots for the sprocket set screws, but new replacement axles come machined for all positions. And a flat spot is easy enough to add yourself if they didn't. The new HD axles are a stronger axle and a good investment when replacing. Argo also considers axles to be wear items and prices them cheaper than Max.

Before splines, you have to look at axle diameter. Back in the 70's, axles were smaller and weaker, and I'd suggest upgrading.

Had a quick scout around and it appears mixing dimensions isn't as common over here. I usually just take a pattern in for them to ID or measure so never really came across this before (there must be two dozen bearing stockists within 5 miles of me)

I'll go in the one we use most and ask the question as I'm intrigued now.

+ Reply to Thread