Brake Problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake Problems

Brake Problems

I've researched this thread but didn't find any answers. My 2006 Bigfoot is pulling to the right so bad I have to make abrupt corrections every 5 feet. After the brakes get warm I get a severe squealing on the right side. I just replaced the master cylinders, rods, and hold-brake cable. I put Dot 5 in both cylinders and bled em. I know it's in my brakes. I can't have them deer hearing that squealing this weekend.

Did you check tire size/air pressure on both sides. As well check your idler chain tension. When you changed you fluid did you make sure there was nothing left in the lines....may have been some moisture there??????
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Tires and chain tension are good, brake fan is working. I have a pasture behind my house and can only make it twice around before the right brake gets hot and starts squealing. Once it gets hot it pulls to the right. There is dot 5 residue on the rotor/caliper, but can't see that causing the brake grabbing. Any ideas on what would cause the right brake to grab? Does anyone know of a dealer close to Albany Georgia?

Check that the 2 tabs on the tbar where the plungers go through are not bent forward, the stops should barely contact the tabs. If the are hitting adjust them, if tabs are bent straighten them first, the check the rod adjustment (you should be able to spin them with your fingers fairly easily).

Next time you take it for a spin and the brake tightens try loosening off the cover to the caliper to see it that releases the brake.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

What about a sticking piston in the caliper?

hi
    If all the linkages are adjusted correctly
    Re bleed system
    If still not working u have pistons in the caliper that r sticking --overhaul new seal, dust boot etc

tomo

Thanks Tomo, that's what I was thinking. I ordered a new caliper from Argo-adventure. Having an Argo really makes you self sufficient, no dealers even close to me.

hi
    Can u not just order an over haul kit
    U may have to buy a piston if corroded
    or
    send caliper to a large brake supplies company . They will charge little to supply and install an ohaul kit . They will suppy a piston if needed .

tomo

I agree, folks should consider overhauling these calipers unless they are really rusted and munged up. I've never taken apart a simpler caliper. I would go so far as calling these perfect for handing to a neighborhood kid as a first tinkering project in John's garage. The dangerous part, same for all calipers, is when you use a shot of air to force the pistons out; this can absolutely destroy any piece of human anatomy. Do not get between the piston and anything when you are doing that. I usually stuff a rag in the gap so things don't get dinged up too.

I'm pretty sure Rock Doctor has posted a video of how it's done too.

The o-ring kit is cheap from an Argo dealer.

+ Reply to Thread