Argo 1982 HT 6x6 clutch or drive belt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo 1982 HT 6x6 clutch or drive belt

Argo 1982 HT 6x6 clutch or drive belt

Just picked up my first 6x6. everything is in pretty good shape overall. It was originally owned by the Canadian dept of transportation. I bought it from the second owner. When I got it last week, it had the wrong drive belt installed( wide polaris snowmobile belt). The prior owner would start it in gear and turn it off to switch gears , or stall it when braking. He had the original worn belt that was marked 125-25. This matched the parts manual I have for the 6x6. I ordered and installed the new belt. I can now start in neutral and shift into gear, however, when braking it still doesn't disengage wich also prevents me from shifting fwd to rev. The Tecumseh 16 idles down fast and the primary clutch fully opens. The driven clutch closes. It looks as if the belt is too short. This is a bit confusing as everything on the machine looks to be original, and the original belt is the same size as the new one. I have lubed both clutches and they appear to be working as they should. I will note that at idle, the belt sits about 1/2-3/4 down below the edge of the driven clutch. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Did you try cleaning the faces on your clutches? What about idle speed. With the machine shut off , how do your belt sit in the clutches? They need to be slow before youy change gear. Sometimes it helps to put the machine in reverse before shifting to forward.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

1982 Argo belt

Clutches are clean and no oil or grease. Idle will go all the way down and can even stall out and it will remain engaged. Idle speed is not the issue. I can press on the belt before a start to open up the driven clutch and put some slack in the belt, and start and it will shift fine. It just seems like the belt is too tight. How far up on the driven clutch should the belt sit? When the primary is fully open(engine slow or off) the belt sits in the closed , driven clutch , about 3/4 of an inch from the top. What I mean by this is that the top of the belt to the top of the driven clutch edge is about 3/4 of an inch. It would seem that the belt should run up higher on the driven clutch , meaning the belt should be longer.

Yep, The belt needs to ride at the top of the driven when stopped. are you sure belt is riding all way to the bottom of the drive? there should be a little room between the belt and the sides of the drive. the belt may be to wide also.

82 HT belt

Belt goes all theway to the bottom of the driven clutch when reved. Just started it and observed. Looks like it still touches the belt on the sides even at top engine speed. I think i may have found out the issue. The driven pully says "bombardier made in canada 414-2009-003. Is this the correct clutch? Possible its been replaced?

There were 3 different clutch setups and 2 different belts on the Tec.'s so you'll need to know what clutch is on the engine.
    The 125-25 belt was used on the Salisbury 780 set up like what was on mine, the belt is only 1-3/16.
    I'd guess the driven was replaced, if it is the same diameter you may be able to pull a shim or 2 and narrow it up to the 1-3/16, other wise you need to match the clutches.

82 argo belt

What do you mean be "pull a shim" ? Also I don't need to make the driven clutch narrower, if anything it seems like it needs to be kept open. When stopped the drive cluch is fully opened and the driven clutch is closed hard against the sides of the belt.

hi
    Agree with all others .
    The clutches need to be identified . MATCHED PAIR ONLY
    [NON MATCHING CLUTCHES CAN BE USED BUT ONLY BY A PERSON WHO CAN SET THEM UP, WITH THE CORRECT BELT ]
    A factory ...belt and clutches... are exactly that, matched set components .

Find part no`s of clutches or post pictures
    tomo

Quote Originally Posted by dfgtye View Post
    What do you mean be "pull a shim" ? Also I don't need to make the driven clutch narrower, if anything it seems like it needs to be kept open. When stopped the drive cluch is fully opened and the driven clutch is closed hard against the sides of the belt.

Sorry misunderstood the description, thinking the belt had slack but sitting low in the driven.

82 Argo Belt

OK. The clutches are not a matched set. The front is the stock salsbury 780. The driven is a bombardier 414-2009 003. They line up perfectly and work fine. My guess is that the diameter of the driven is about 1 in greater than that of the stock salsbury. If I can limit the closing of the driven the standard belt will work. How/can a clutch be shimmed open? Is the shim just a bushing on the shaft. Other option of course is to vary the belt size, but a larger belt will reduce the speed and will be a hit or miss guess at the size.
    So any thoughts? Shim and how. Or any way to measure for the correct belt size

+ Reply to Thread