Half-track 13" plastic for the middle 2 wheels of a Conquest?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Half-track 13" plastic for the middle 2 wheels of a Conquest?

Half-track 13" plastic for the middle 2 wheels of a Conquest?

Hello again,

Just by chance, does anyone think it's worth putting a set of used plastic half-tracks (13" wide) on just the middle 2 wheels on each side of my Conquest 8x8?

Currently I have no tracks, and am sinking into the muskeg enough that I'm getting frustrated having to turn around all the time, or make the commitment to winch forwards and then home again later on.. Fun but a real time sink.

I've spoken with 2 people who say this, combined with aggressive tires on all 4 corners, is the best of both worlds if your budget doesn't allow the purchase of Escargo/Adair. And mine doesn't at the moment, just looking to spend "a little" but get a decent improvement to floatation, through muskeg and mud. And later on, through some snow at the beginning of winter.

Obviously I know I will need something better to take me through the whole winter once the snow really start flying. But I'm not sure that I'll even be interested in riding once it drops down below -30'C so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks!
    SD

This has been discussed on here before...There is some benifit to half tracks but not as good as 3/4 or full tracks.....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...lf-tracks.html

This is my argo with 3/4 tracks....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...-4-tracks.html
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    This has been discussed on here before...There is some benifit to half tracks but not as good as 3/4 or full tracks.....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...lf-tracks.html

This is my argo with 3/4 tracks....

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...-4-tracks.html
    Thanks for the links, some great info there that I didn't find in my searches.

Looks like the jury is out in winter conditions: Full tracks > Front 3 wheels tracked > Front 2 wheels tracked

For summer conditions, since the terrain varies so much, looks like lots of options. If a person likes having full tracks and has chosen the right kind of track, then full tracks seem to be a hit.

If a person likes running on wheels, and avoids nasty terrain, then that seems to be a good riding choice too.

If a person wants an improvement to steering over full tracks, and also an improvement in traction and floatation over just wheels, then: Middle 2 wheels tracked > Front 2 or Rear 2 wheels tracked.

SOLD. I'm going to grab a pair of used tracks for the middle 2 wheels and experiment myself.

Thanks a lot!
    SD

Be sure to post back on how they work for you.

Did you try the half track? How did they work? How Did the axle and bearings hold up?

+ Reply to Thread