Argo Duck Blind

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Duck Blind

Argo Duck Blind

Hey Folks,

I've been following off and on lately but haven't really had time to post let alone eat I've been so busy with work (military). I have done a lot of searching for older argo upgrade/accessories to tech out our machines but I'm not really coming up with a whole lot in terms of good explanations and pictures for people's after market projects on their older argos. I am a little more experienced at welding and fabrication than the common man/women and luckily I have a lot of drive to fix the many mistakes one makes along the way to creating something new I searched the web to try and find ideas to create a portable duck blind combined with my argo, but to no avail. So I'm either looking in all the wrong places (totally possible) or there just isn't that many people posting the ABC's to their projects. So I've decided to do my best to post info with pictures on all the projects I complete on my argo. So the goal of this project was to create a argo/duck blind. It all started when........... my hunting buddy and I took the argo to a new chunk of swamp packed with ducks that we received permission to hunt the night before. The game plan was to set up a small permanent duck blind on the other side of the swamp to discourage recreational users. There is approx 60m of cat-tails on relatively solid mud then 10m of cat-tails and the worse possible mud/water/goose s%#$ you can imagine. So I generously offered the argo as the chariot to take us to the other side. I decided I wasn't going to install my Super Tracks, because I do enjoy testing the limits of my argo. So we got there early, packed the argo like a mule and set off through the reeds. We needed some coaxing to get through some spots (mainly due to turning and requiring to brake while doing it) but all in all it was looking pretty good. We approached the 10m of mud hell and I pinned it. In my head I was picturing a car chase down the streets of San Francisco and me coming out of the reeds on the water side like a car flying over intersections. Needless to say this was not the case. About 2" from the waters edge, one whole side of the argo sunk into the mud and would not move. We did everything we could to un-stick it but nothing was working. We rocked and rolled it, and while I was at the controls, I noticed a glowing light emanating from under my hood cover. I quickly removed it to notice a small electrical fire. After tending to that, we noticed that the frame had come loose from some of the rivets being rusted and made contact with the back of the ignition switch causing a Dead Short. I'll save you hours of other hilarious antics; long story short we just sat in the argo, leaning heavily to the right side, cam'd it up the best we could and hunted the morning from it. It gave me the time to design a way to create a portable blind out of the argo so as to literally drive to the waters edge, throw the cam over and hunt. So I started my project this week. I will not forget the tracks again and they will be installed before the next outting. But here's some pictures of my progress. I encourage comments and critiques as I realized a long time ago that I am not perfect and I design a lot of my projects off things I can find on the internet. I'm very visual and hope this can help someone else in the same predicament. We have the best ATV on the planet, we might as well use them for everything

what did you use for the "hinge" for the folding front part?
    1998 Argo Conquest
    1999 Jeep Wrangler on 35s

Quote Originally Posted by BlkJeep View Post
    what did you use for the "hinge" for the folding front part?
    I just used a size larger cable clamp. It allows it to swing up and down and the rubber inside the clamp provides a little friction for control.

Nice job with the argo. Some of those older machine can still be very capable. Even better looking ducks. I am sure that you had a good feed. Now as for being busy at work (military)....hahahaha...You guys do not work that hard.....hahhaha...Just kidding. Thanks for your service....I done 20 1/2 years in the CF myself and retired in 07....Like your handle.....I started as Arty and then remustered to Ammo Tech. Peace on this upcoming Rememberance Day...l
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

So I've been hard at work getting the final touches on the Argo. Installed the tracks yesterday and had to take it out to the lake for a test drive to make sure there were no issues. There is a little bit of slapping as I'm driving, which wasn't an issue last year. I have my tire pressure pretty high (5,6,7psi) but the tracks are considerably higher in the middle than last year. Any insight or suggestions into this issue would be greatly appreciated. I measured all my wheels again this year to match the actual tire circumference for the proper placement ie. largest at the back smaller working forward. Not going to stop the countdown until tomorrows "christening". I epoxied pieces of the cut up bed sheet I had left onto the drop down screen and painted it so it has time to dry. I also placed the front bed sheet cover over the front and painted it as well. Luckily I stopped and grabbed a bunch of cat tails to make some home made mats to cover the Argo with to give it some definition. I'll take pictures of the mats on the Argo tomorrow. I did decide to paint the back of the Argo in the same manner as the front cover....I know it won't stay on unfortunately, but I got a little carried away. So really this afternoon I'm letting everything with the actual blind dry and focusing on making up some more mats and giving the decoys a good cleaning. My significant other has planned a Halloween Party for us to host tomorrow night and left the house for me to clean. There is way more I would have rather gotten done on the blind before tomorrows unveiling, but hey....she's cool with me hunting all morning! Plus I might be able to just come home and be in costume depending how the morning goes. Enjoy the pictures and I'll definitely be getting some later tonight with it all put together and tomorrow morning for the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    Nice job with the argo. Some of those older machine can still be very capable. Even better looking ducks. I am sure that you had a good feed. Now as for being busy at work (military)....hahahaha...You guys do not work that hard.....hahhaha...Just kidding. Thanks for your service....I done 20 1/2 years in the CF myself and retired in 07....Like your handle.....I started as Arty and then remustered to Ammo Tech. Peace on this upcoming Rememberance Day...l
    Dido on your handle. I'd give you three guesses on trade but I'm sure you'll only need one lol

K so I finally got most of it together and took it out for a test spin. It needs a little tweaking, but all in all it worked out great.

I demolish my bridges behind me, that way there's no choice but to move forward...

Nice setup you have there. Just drive to your hide, sit in comfort and then drive out to pick up the spoils of your labour......

"I demolish my bridges behind me, that way there's no choice but to move forward..." Should be careful which bridges you burn as you never know the bridge you will need to cross back over to get where you are going....lol

Seen you guys in action....might do better with a couple matches.....lol...Just kidding....worked with some good guys in Afghanistan....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread