Best Material for Winter Cab Cover for ARGO

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Material for Winter Cab Cover for ARGO

Best Material for Winter Cab Cover for ARGO

Thank you to all on this blog. I have found very useful information--and bought an Argo. I will be using it only in the winter--in northern Ontario [Canada]. I would appreciate input re. the best material to have a cover made from--both for operating [with doors and windows] and another one for transport--on a trailer. I have heard of a few: Sunbrella, Herculite,...? I will need to put the covers on and off in the cold [minus 40]. Any advice?
    Thanks

I'm in northern Alberta and the previous owner of my machine told me that the clear plastic sides of the factory Argo canopy shattered when his kid tried to fold them at - 40. That being said I'm sure a custom boat top maker could make a canopy for less than Argo charges out of the same material. I would install it before winter and leave it until spring. I'm not sure what model and options you have, but I've been thinking of building a cab for the front seat from acrylic and lexan that's attached to the roll cage. The nice thing about Argos is even if it was gold plated, it's still redneck as heck. Make it work!

Top for Argo Cold Weather

Thanks for the info. I agree.
    I have been doing some research and this is what I have found so far:[1] yes, it seems a custom boat-top place will be less expensive than ARGO, [2] Argo uses Sunbrella--which is flexible polyester, but is apparently somewhat fragile,[3] I have been advised to use Cordura ("stronger than Sunbrella, but more flexible than TopGun in the cold").[4] apparently TopGun is the toughest of them all, but will be basically will be so inflexible in the sub-zero that it will not be removable--so I have been told. I hope this is helpful to others, and I would like any input from someone who has actually tried any of these fabrics in the minus 30 to 40 range.

Something that works really good in those -30 to -40 range is a winter home down south.....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

We make hoods and tops for a living, but unfortunately we don't get -40 so can't help you. If it was for me and I had to take a guess on making one for that temperature I would go with a 12oz polycotton canvas. This is a really tough material and will be warmer than pvc or acrylic. It's as waterproof as any cloth can be. I don't know if you have "Regentex" imported but if you do it's a top of the range material but about £5 or £6 a square yard (that's getting on for 10 US dollars ?)

I make enclosures for pontoon boats and houseboats for my friends. I use Sunbrella for the solid parts and Plastipane .020 for the clear part of the enclosure. The Sunbrella isn't the problem, it is the Plastipane. It hold up very well on pontoon boats going 20-30mph in January and February. Just don't roll it up when it is below 40 degrees and it should be fine. If you go heavier than .020 it will be hard to roll up, even in the summer and gets brittle quicker. Most of the enclosures around here last 10 years without a problem. Heavier Plastipane over .020 gets brittle after about 5 years. You can't use ammonia based products to clean it either, or you shorten the lifespan. When you store it, put a piece of cloth covering the Plastipane and roll it up dry, otherwise it will be welded together when you do get it out again.

As we tend to do more "industrial" strength covers we don't use sunbrella, it's exactly what the name says, an umbrella for the sun. It doesn't like being pushed under trees etc and it looks very shabby very quickly..

Check this out. They cater to oil field, so it's probably not going to be cheap. It's wicked cool though. ATV Cabs - Marmit Plastic Inc.

I just realized that I've dealt with these guys in the past when I worked in the oilfield. They did some plastic welding for us. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow.

This whole idea here has me thinking....First either learn to sew and get a commercial machine or be prepared to work very closely with a tent/awning/boat top maker...

I'm thinking of a top for Muscateer too, and my friend has some INSULATED tarps, for working on buildings and such, they are a fire rated product so should be safe. I'm thinking of getting one or two from him and making a frame up of light thin walled tube..something I can take on and off machine simply.

Then work at attaching with snaps or something and maybe a wire framed door and golf cart windshield...

Just my usual off the wall approach to problems...

JM2CW
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread