hello Tranny guru's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hello Tranny guru's

hello Tranny guru's

Ok guys, my tranny is not liking reverse. I was popping out of gear before, but now it doesn't seem to be going in at all and if it does it pops right out at the first application of power. CHK Series tranny.

I had this one apart before and the reverse idler gear was a bit worn but seemed like it had lots of meat left on it so It went back in since I couldn't get one quickly.

I'm just ordering gaskets and seals to go in and take a look, but is there anything else you would suspect right off the hop, so I can have parts on hand?

Also i have the non PTO-s version. Has anybody swapped out the input shaft, so they can have the PTO and maybe run an alternator off it?

Ok just an update incase others are having a similar issue

Split the transmission last night, and as suspected its time to start changing out some gears.

The input shaft has some wear on the gears, and if money was no object I would change it out ($245 for the input shaft). I believe my issue of it popping out of gear is due to the Reverse Idler gear, and the double gear. The Reverse idler I should have changed last time I was in the tranny, but I dressed out the teeth that looked a bit sketchy and hoped for the best. The double gear shows wear, and heat damage on about a third of the teeth. The teeth aren't excessively worn, or missing but they are all worn in U shaped fashion across the tops of the teeth. Its the piece that moves when selecting gears and its my number one suspect. It engages to the input shaft and the reverse idler.

I'll post if this is the cure after I get parts. I'm still sourcing the double gear, but not counting oil seals, and gaskets, I'm at about $250 Cdn.

Typically if you can't see the factory machine work on the teeth or the case hardening is flaking off any teeth toss it. I normally figure any older Argo trany with a problem needs input shaft ,double gear,reverse idler ant top bearings just to go back into operation. All the parts in the differential and output shafts last a bit better.

And that is exactly where I'm at. I was thinking that the teeth have lots of meat on em. I dressed out the burrs and rough edges with a fine file and hoped for the best.

Good news is parts are in stock and I should be back in action soon

+ Reply to Thread