Looking at argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at argo

Looking at argo

Hey guys. Looking at buying a used Argo. When I'm looking what are top 5 things to check/ audit for good working order. Don't want to get hosed on a deal.

Overall cleanliness of the machine, guys that don't clean their machine, generally don't maintain it either.
    Jack it up and run it with all wheels off the ground, will help identify bent axles and/or and binding that may be going on.
    While you have it up in the air, try to wiggle the axles up and down, will help identify bad bearings.
    With a flashlight, look at sprockets, and chains, look for wear.
    Test drive it and run in high, low, reverse through some ditches, bumps, twists, then pop the hood and look for leaks.

That should get u started
    RD

hey friend, you can also tell alot by the person selling it. are they friendly and personable. honest and open about the machine. any problems that they have had. why are they selling it? good luck and let us know how you make out. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Overall cleanliness of the machine, guys that don't clean their machine, generally don't maintain it either.
    RD
    One of the truest things I've read.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

went out and looked at it today. Going back to jack it up and check bearings and whatnot. Went for a test drive today. Engine sounded great. Vanguard 16hp no leaks, looked all around. Chains no rust, well oiled, Its a 2002 6x6 has all manuals and the hard copy of the complete service manual too.

If not major issues whats resale on a 2002 argo anyways. high hours on it but has been well taken care of. is under 5k a good deal and it comes with a set of tracks?

Being a new Argo owner myself. Just because you look and drive and everything else, expect things to be wrong on the machine. Expect to work on it a lot, I don't mean big things but to keep it up the little things. I will say this, the longer I have my Argo the more I love it. One last thing, after you buy it, the people on this site are the greatest, I have learned so much from them. Tracks if they are Adair, buy it for the track alone. My 2 cents

Im not sure what they are. I know they are the wider tracks- has stamped Argo in the plastic, comes with 6 extenders since the tracks are like 18 inches wide.

They are the plastic track. Do not buy just for the plastic track. Then again I maybe should not say that because it depends on what you will be using it for. I have a set of the plastic track and found them every disappointing. About the only thing they are good for is flat snow no ice or hill climbing. My plastic tracks are now just holding up a fence. And I went to the channel track with no regrets at all. Going from a flat plastic track to a razed belt was like adding power steering to the argo . Check it out and do not feel to disappointed if she needs some work They all do at some point
    There is no question about this site, it is full of info and some great guys to chat with. They will help with any questions you have

I confirmed with him they are 18" super tracks. Well as of tomorrow I am an owner of an Argo. Made the deal.

+ Reply to Thread