Cold Weather engine pre-heating?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold Weather engine pre-heating?

Cold Weather engine pre-heating?

What do you guys do? I try to keep my machine indoors, but on occasion it has to be outside. Its -30C tonight, and I'm thinking I'll install an oil pan heater. Although it means pulling the engine to do it.

What do you guys use?

I just drop a Trouble light under the hood, and cover the front of the machine with a canvas tarp. Works fine in a pinch.

RD

yeah I do that with the sleds, I just wasn't sure that block of iron would absorb much heat.

I use this stuck to the oil pan http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00N...ilpage_o03_s00

It gets very hot very fast…I use these pads and the magnetic version on all my tractors and diesel generators. You can order online or get them at princess auto.

Oh and I didn't need to pull the engine to install it either at least on my Bigfoot. Try the 200watt magnetic version and see if you're happy with the results as it's not a permanent install like the silicone pad is.

You can also put a silicone pad heater under the battery holder provided it's metal on your machine.
    Last edited by srfnson; 11-26-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Ya I have two of those in the basement 100w'ers. We use em on everything. My Truck has em on oil pan and tranny, and I'd like to put a couple lil ones on the diffs.

I didn't think I'd get a good clean bond without pulling the old girl and cleaning it up.

I do have one of the magnetic ones. No idea where it is, as all my oil pans are aluminum now, and last time I had a dead vehicle I couldn't find enough real metal to make it stick. Thanks for reminding me.

I like the pad things, would probably work quite well. There used to be a heater you stuck in the dipstick tube that worked well if you can't get the pad type to work. I've got news for you, if it gets -30 here, I'm not thinking about riding no way. We'd freeze to death in our houses down here.

+ Reply to Thread