2003 Conquest

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2003 Conquest

2003 Conquest

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums here, but thought I'd get a thread going regarding my machine. I don't have any specific questions at this point, but I'll post what I'm doing so if any of you with more knowledge and experience have pointers you can share.

I just acquired a 2003 Conquest with about 60 hours on the engine. When I first got it the engine was running strangely (seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas) and wouldn't idle low enough to shift gears. I pulled the carb, and noticed that the previous owner had apparently unscrewed the fuel solenoid valve without disconnecting the wiring. This had broken the wire off at the solenoid, which he attempted to repair with a rather poor soldering job. Needless to say, the valve didn't work, and was stuck in the closed position when I pulled it.

So, a new valve is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, along with a few other things that appeared to need replacing.

Today I oiled up all the drive chains and idler chains. The idler chains were way to loose (think 1-2" of movement) so I adjusted those up, everything else looked to be in good order. It has a set of tracks on it, so once I get it running those will come off so I can grease the bearings (any recommendations on grease?). The machine came from South Carolina, so an oil change is in order to accommodate the cold winter temps I'll be dealing with.

So, that's what I've done so far and plan to do in the short term. Any suggestions are very much welcome!
    Last edited by byanni; 12-27-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Congrats on the "new" machine. The Conquest model is an excellent machine an a little workhorse. I have a 2004 Conquest and mine only had 20 hrs on it when I bought it a 3 years ago. Needless to say that even with low hour machines like ours the Kawi engines hates old gas. The fuel pump on mine was gummed up and needed replacing, the solenoid pin was stuck forward and restricting gas flow. Old gummy gas has also caused many of these engines to throw a rod past the rocker arm.

I would personally change out the fuel line to ethanol rated rated line, change the fuel filter, and then the god out of it with some fresh fuel and maybe some Sea Foam gas treatment. I always put marine Stabil in my gas which not only keeps the gas fresh, but also has an ethanol treatment in it. Keep the gas system clean it these engines and it and you will be a happy camper.

The performance (speed vs torque)of these machines is a variation of the transmission gear ratio (stamped on top on tranny) and the clutch weights (primary) and spring tension (secondary/driven clutch). Proper carb jetting for you altitude is good to. There is mucho info on here from knowledgeable guys on the subjects.

As far as grease goes, I am personally a big Mobil 1 fan, which has a big temp range and is synthetic as well. I am a big fan of Mobil 1 engine oil and gear lube in the tranny, with Lukas oils/lube being a close second.

Got the engine running well, was able to ride around on it a little today. Next step is to get the tracks and wheels off to inspect/grease the bearings. Also heard some noises from once of the rear drive trains, sounds like I'll need to adjust the tensioner. Other than that things seem to be going well!

Things are running well, had a chance to get the argo out the other day and thought I'd share some pictures.

Nice machine there! Looks like you had some fun in the snow today - that's perfect! Enjoy your new toy.

Beautiful photos. That snow bank picture is great.

+ Reply to Thread