New to Argos, 03 Conquest 8X questions - Drive Belt & Chain Adjusters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Argos, 03 Conquest 8X questions - Drive Belt & Chain Adjusters

New to Argos, 03 Conquest 8X questions - Drive Belt & Chain Adjusters

Well, after some debate, I bought my first Argo! Just got it home yesterday, used it a little this morning to move the trailer around my garage (my drive is too small to turn the trailer around w/my truck ).

Anyway, the chains are loose, and the drive belt seems pretty loose . . . so now to the experts for a little help.

1) Auto Adjusters - When i looked at the argo, the chains were loose and dragging on the plastic rub rails on the frame (the ones on the frame, not the pucks on the auto adjusters). The adjusters still have some adjustment left to them, but i couldn't seem to get them to move with my hands no matter how hard i pulled, pushed, punched the mechanism. Will these freeze up? What is the best way to get them loose? Where can I get new frame sliders as these are all pretty much worn through (Edit- Found these on the Argo site . . . not sure why i hadn't seen them before)?

2) Drive belt- How much slack should be in the belt? i can move it 2+ inches, it seems really sloppy compared to what i'm used to on these type of clutch systems? The belt width is 1-3/8" so still above the 1-5/16" minimum in the manual. I need to get a new belt on order for it pretty soon, where/what brand is best for these? Do I need to make an adjustment to tighten the belt back up?

3) Valve Lash- Just thought of another question, whats the intake and exhaust valve lash supposed to be so I can check that here some time?

Thanks,
    Brad
    Last edited by trick76cj5; 01-03-2015 at 09:49 PM.

You can get the manuals you need here -> Argo Adventure | Argo Atv | Argo Parts
    Ken

For Sale 2000 Max IV

Awesome! I've downloaded the service manuals for both the Argo and the engine. Thanks so much!

You're welcome.

I used the site to download the service and parts manual for the Briggs in my MAX IV.

Take care and good luck with your new toy, I am still going through everything on mine getting it ready for its first outing.

Ken
    Ken

For Sale 2000 Max IV

# 2 check, 15.35 inch, center to center on engine to trans shafts. Mine was 15 inch & just would not, could not perform as designed. I had to replace the power pack frame to correct this measurement. Simple check with clutches on or off. No other way to correct slack in the belt. Good luck.

To adjust the chains..

Completely jack up the conquest so all 8 tires are in the air. (I use large wooden blocks under the front and just a floor jack in the rear.) This takes the pressure off the chains. Next with 1 hand pull up the chain adjuster grabbing under the slider block, and with your other hand turn down the ratchet end until it locks. do this for all 6. While you have it jacked up have an assistant turn the tires on one side while you spray lube the chains. (I lube the outer and then the inner on each chain.) Then do other side.

Also.. Before you lower it back down check all the outer wheel bearings for play.
    Grab the tire and see if you can pull it up and down. A little movement, grease it. If it still moves the same, or had allot of movement in it before greasing, it needs replacement.

There is no adjustment on the clutch drive belt. They do wear out. And sometimes stuff gets bent, like moos' old power pack frame.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. i will check the center to center distance on the clutch to make sure nothings bent.

Regarding chain adjustment, it turns out that the "frame stop" for the adjuster on the left side, under the seat broke loose from the frame. I had to pull the chain, clean it up as best as possible, re-weld it from the inside, and then grind the weld so the adjuster would sit properly on it. But, its back together and seems like its working ok, we'll see what happens once i get some hours on it. The front chains will need replaced this spring, but everything else looks like its got a lot of life left in it.

I think i'm gonna replace the drive belt even though i'm still above the replacement width, it should make a good back up belt . . . and give me a chance to see if there is any benefit to a new belt. Are the Argo brand belts the best out there, or should I be looking elsewhere.

I got my plow put together, the argo bracket is installed . . . now i just have to drill out the Argo bracket to fit the bolts that came with the plow.

Again, thanks for all the help!

+ Reply to Thread