low gear high torque admiral, machine speed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: low gear high torque admiral, machine speed

low gear high torque admiral, machine speed

Hey all,
    What kind of speeds can you get with the low gear high torque admiral transmission? Lets say on flat ground with very little load? Curious just how low it is. I think I've heard 15 mph?
    Thanks for any input

mine goes 28-30 kph regardless of terrain.uphill,downhill on the lake with a bit of snow it stays roughly the same speed.

I get 15mph. Thats with the 18" rubber tracks.

I have the 2015 700HD with low geared trans.

It does 15MPH GPS with tires at 2psi

17 MPH GPS with 18" rubber tracks and tires at recommended 5/7/7/6 psi setup

You can pretty much count on 15MPH even in deep snow breaking trail as long as it's flat still, even with the tires aired down to ~3PSI with track tuners. This trans works great, hardly ever use low range ever!

Also I'm getting 50-65 miles to the fuel tank on average.

I have the suspension seats, I don't know how or why anyone would want to go any faster then 15MPH in an Argo. It feels like your pushing the limits even at that speed for axle integrity, lol. It's a pretty good clip for no suspension!

Yep, you guys are right on,I get 16 mph with the adair tracks and winter kit,with the high torque low speed tranny.No,you don't want to go real fast in an argo,they are not made for speed,however, the new high speed tranny might be for someone that has to travel longer distances,even then, it's under 30 mph,and IMO,they shouldn't be made to go any faster than that.

A lot of the dirt roads surrounding argo country in areas I hunt in are perfectly smooth and perfectly straight. It's painfully slow spending 20 minutes at 26km/h to get back to the truck after you come out through a muskeg hole somewhere for 6 hours and don't have time to go back the way you came. On these roads, I'd be happy to go 60km/h! Same thing ice fishing, going 10km across a lake where you can't see anything but white it feels like you're standing still for an eternity I often wish the transmission had 3 forward speeds just for those occasions. But of course then ODG would be heading into lawsuit territory like what happened with 3 wheelers. Too many people not realizing that you can't take a 90 degree corner at speed. They'd have to come up with some new steering control system that didn't allow hard turning at speed, to prevent rollovers.

How does the lower gear Admiral swim ?

The lower gear swims well,I have only swam with tracks on,but the slower the rotation of the tracks/tires the less cavatation (air around the tracks/tires)the faster it will swim.Seems to go a little better in low range, but all swimming is slow reguardless,and body english is needed to help make turns.

On tires I found the Argo with low range trans to swim up to 3MPH on tires depending on the wind. With tracks very little as mentioned and sometimes better in low range especially with the 18" Argo Rubber tracks. Barely enough to carry any momentum to get to a bank and grab traction to grab up. Depending on the crossing you should enter water and carry as much momentum as possible to drift over to the other side of water if it's not too far away. A paddle rotating from each side with only one operator makes a big enough difference to not need an outboard motor for the short crossings. In a large pond or lake you may want to look into an outboard motor with a long leg with or without tracks.

+ Reply to Thread