Replacing the Old

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing the Old

Replacing the Old

Hey Everyone,
    I have been on the forums reading/learning for quite a while now and finally I have a question I can't find the answer for.

I am finally replacing my 1997 Response 8x8 this year. All and all it has been a good machine, but have had nothing but headaches with that briggs motor.
    I am planning to purchase a new frontier in the next month or two. Which brings the big question, should I go liquid cooled or air?

I would assume that the Kohler motor is light years better than the briggs, can anyone confirm this?

I know that the liquid cooled is quite a bit more expensive than the air.

What is everybody's opinion?

Cheers
    TW

B
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 05:06 PM.

As long as the air cooled Kohler and Briggs engines are running, they're cooling. The machine doesn't have to be moving.

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deedeelin1 View Post
    Hydro, I love learning. How are they cooled. Everything I ever owned that was air cooled had to be moving to stay cool. This is where you make me smarter.
    They are fan cooled, that means the crankshaft spins a fan in the engine casing.
    Free air engines like old sleds didn't have any cooling system.

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Liquid is also quieter vs. Air cooled. I can vouch for that as my conquest has the kawi liquid cooled and my john deere lawn tractor with the same kawi engine is way louder and air cooled. If you're from a naturally warm climate, liquid would be the way to go.
    Last edited by Lundtastic; 03-24-2015 at 06:58 AM.

replacing the old

Hi TW, If you are buying a new Frontier,they are only available with air cooled Kohler engines. Argo have had good luck with liquid cooled Kohler engines in their Avenger models since 2004 and are now using only kohler engines to my knowledge. The optional hood cooling fan is a good idea with the Admiral tranny in warmer climates. Guys like Mighty Max who are AATV committed and post excellent videos won,t have to ride the southern marshes with the hood off, I hope.

I think any Kohler engine is superior to the B&S 23HP engine. the smaller 16,18,20hp B&S engines I never had problems with. I actually have a 30hp B&S big block in an experimental machine I'm fiddling with and no problems with it. The 23hp is a totally different story. They obviously were not designed for operation in a hot environment, run too lean, and overheat, running with the hood off improves things but does not fix the issue. The B&S requires the valves to be adjusted every 100hours or so (if you are lucky to get that far). I've actually melted two fuel pumps, and am on my third starter. I do not believe the quality is there for that particular engine. It looks like B&S took the same cooling fan from the smaller engines and used it on the 23hp.

Kohlers have always been reliable for me, I have a lawn tractor with a 25 Command engine with 600 hours, that runs perfect. I have two 20hp Kohlers, one in a Max2 the other a Max4, both of which perform perfectly with several hundred hours, no over heating, no popping, no issues.

As far as air or liquid cooled goes, that's a personal choice, I only have one liquid cooled engine in the amphib fleet and its awesome, quiet, fuel efficient, no issues. I'll probably try the new Kohler EFI Air cooled engine in the near future, and will give feedback on how it performs.

One of my hunting partners has a 2008 frontier 8x8 with the Briggs 23 hp engine. His Argo now has about 250 hours and is running strong. Last fall he pulled out an avenger 700 with a blown transmission. The frontier was loaded with a quartered up bull moose, coolers, one passenger and their gear. It was 23 kms back to the trucks through some wet muskeg and nasty terrain. It was late November and temperature was about 0 degrees Celsius. He has not had many issues with that engine. He loves the fact that he can start it up with the pull cord in the event of a dead battery. The liquid cooled engines offer more power than the fan cooled but it comes at a price. I would not hesitate to go with the frontier fan cooled engine based on seeing what that 2008 has done. On the same token, horse power is nice to have.

Good luck with your search.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread