Too heavy? Water over the front!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too heavy? Water over the front!!

Too heavy? Water over the front!!

2004 conquest with channel tracks
    Took it to the slough today as I have never had it in water before.
    I drove in and let it float, could hear water comin in so took the hood off and realized it's coming in around the bottom of the headlights!!
    Is it normal for them to sink that deep?
    It was just myself in the unit (180lbs) I have a rops and a winch with those tracks
    Just barely got out as belt was slipping from being wet.

Is this normal?? Or am I way to heavy somehow?
    Thanks

Glad it turned out okay! Post a pic of your machine if you can. Argos ride low in the front, and any pre-existing water will travel to the front. Having a ROPS on in the water is a really bad idea. I don't believe argo even considers the machine amphibious with a ROPS in place even without tracks. Once your nose gets down really low, then the problem can snowball for sure. Tracks alone will not cause this problem on a conquest, and I have tested that theory quite a bit. Tracks do add weight, but they add a consistent amount of weight over the entire length of the machine and make the machine less tippy in the water.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-17-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Just found your pics on another thread. You definitely have a burly ROPS on your machine. It looks custom compared to stock I'm guessing. Are you aware of any leaky bearingsz? Once you start accumulating water in a machine with a bunch of accessories, things can get sketchy fast. Makes you think about a bilge pump.
    If possible ( and I would avoid doing it with the ROPS in place) when you're floating, try operate your machine from the REAR.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-17-2015 at 10:09 PM.

I think Buzz is correct, the heavy ROPS on top of a machine that has a forward weight bias can create a situation where water comes in the front. The lights have a water resistant gasket but they are not water proof. Add tracks and maybe some water weight from normal leaks and you have a situation that could have ended up with the Conquest being a submersible rather than an amphib. Yes, add the bilge pump, its cheap insurance.

Years ago I recall a person driving a Max4 with a roll cage and 3 passengers, as they navigated a flooded ditch one side bumped the bank just hard enough to throw some water on the rear passengers, and because the water was cold they shifted towards the other side and the machine tipped below the water line just for a moment. The water caused the belt to slip, and with all the weight of machine, accessories, passengers, it went down quickly even with a bilge pump. It took several hours to recover the Max4, and the water caused a soft lock up of the engine.

I was kinda wondering about the rops.
    I assumed the water line should be under the body join??

I think I am going to make the rops detachable with pins, so when I am going into deep water areas I can leave it at home , just trail riding leave it on ect

I just did all the bearings and seals/gaskets. Seems to be no leaks, took the hood off when floating. And seen the headlight issue and some seepage on the body join.

Back end was up nice, just really front heavy it seemed!!
    And it's useless with tracks when floating that's for sure

Good idea with the detachable ROPS system. I try my best to keep weight off my machines. While possible to roll a Conquest, its actually one of the most stable machines out there.

All machines have their design advantages and disadvantages.

decided to build a new roof, went with 11/2 tubing and made it detachable. Shaved 62lbs off
    also built a set of mudflaps!!
    Last edited by crr; 04-10-2015 at 12:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread