2005 Avenger drivetrain issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 Avenger drivetrain issue

2005 Avenger drivetrain issue

Hello all, this is my first post. I grow Xmas trees in Nova Scotia and use a 2005 Avenger with 16 in rubber tracks as my go-to prime mover. It is low impact and nothing else can get into the tree lot and move the same amount of trees. I normally use a walking beam trailer trees loaded to at least 1500 lbs of trees. Last season I noticed it was difficult to make right hand turns with any kind of load or resistance. Under load the wheels (not sure now if only one or both sides) would spin inside the tracks. Today I was getting ready to head out to tap some maples but the Argo couldn't climb the 3' snow bank. The left wheels only would slip inside the tracks while the right side wheels didn't move. Same problem with steering. There have been no mechanical or grinding noises. I checked and everything from the disk brake on the right side to the wheels is there and in good shape. My guess is that something inside of the transmission has let go. I am taking it to a local shop who is a new Argo dealer so very little practical Argo experience. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. Thanks.

I think your issue is simply loose tracks. Your Argo utilizes an open differential transmission which means that it supplies power to the side with the least resistance. If you take your Argo and have one side spinning in mud and the other on dry ground, the one in the mud will continue to be the side that receives power. It will simply spin that side and not allow you to move unless you apply brakes to the side that is spinning. The same can happen if your tires are slipping inside the tracks. The side that is slipping will have all of the power applied to that side and the side that actually has traction and is not spinning will not receive power. If this happens again, apply the brakes. You can try applying it using the brake lever but you might have to simply turn the handlebars so that you brake the side that is spinning.

Hope that made sense? As for your track issue, check your tire inflation first. Even a pound or two off can make a difference.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by Mike; 03-23-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added welcome note

before you take it to a shop, you might want to put the machine up on blocks an check the track sag. airing up the tires may solve your problem, only one side spinning inside the tracks is normal, argo transmissions are an open diff. so the power goes to the side with the least reistance. with braking the side that is spinning it will transfer the power to the side that isn't spinning. hope this helps

Thanks. The front and back tires on the left side were low. I brought them up and it seems to be working. It still slips in deep snow trying to go up any kind of slope but if I back off on the throttle it will start again. How high a pressure can I use or is there another way to tighten rubber tracks?

Thanks again. You saved me money time and a good dose of embarassment. Cheers

it would be best if you can put the machine up on blocks and measure the track sag I think the manual says two to three inches of sag in the middle. there are some important factors in tire pressure with your 8 wheeled rig and tracks. it is best to have the least amount of pressure in the front and the most in the back, this will help against chain windup. so from front to back lets say you want 4,5,6,7 lbs. of pressure to achieve the proper track sag in the middle. you can run more pressure than my example if you need to but it makes for a harsh ride.

Glad the tire pressure technique got you close, tires are usually the culprit and I'm often surprised how much they fluctuate week to week, day to day. Since you are still having some issues take a good look at the tread on the tires, worn tires will let tracks slip as well. If unsure as to their status, post up a few pics and we can take a look for you.

going back to route6x6
    Last edited by gearhead; 07-20-2017 at 08:06 AM.

As stated in earlier posts, tire pressure and track tension is a key factor in getting peak performance while protecting your drive train from damage with any track system. If you do a quick google search on "Argo track instalation" you will find instructions on how to set up your Argo for proper track sag While the machine is elevated, and how to map out and inflate your tires to prevent chain wind up. You can also make sure that you do not have a frozen or seized caliper. This can be done by removing the fire wall and manually moving the brake pads to see if there is any movement. There should be a slight amount of play in each brake pad while the handle bar is in the neutral position.

Hope this helps

Dave

As stated in earlier posts, tire pressure and track tension is a key factor in getting peak performance while protecting your drive train from damage with any track system. If you do a quick google search on "Argo track instalation" you will find instructions on how to set up your Argo for proper track sag While the machine is elevated, and how to map out and inflate your tires to prevent chain wind up. You can also make sure that you do not have a frozen or seized caliper. This can be done by removing the fire wall and manually moving the brake pads to see if there is any movement. There should be a slight amount of play in each brake pad while the handle bar is in the neutral position.

Hope this helps

Dave

+ Reply to Thread