Both my early Vanguards pull to the right

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Both my early Vanguards pull to the right

Both my early Vanguards pull to the right

When i am out on the lake, i always have to pull the left lever back to go straight and follow a trail. besides being annoying it slows me down and i barely go fast enough as it is. i noticed when i had them jacked off the ground, the left side doesnt seem to turn like the right one does. It starts turning only after i pull back the right lever. Is this the way it was supposed to be? I appreciate any help and or advice.

Don't let the way it acts when it's jacked up in the air mislead you. With an open differential, typically one side will turn with no load. For your issues on the ground, I would start by checking the tire pressure. If all of your tires are at the same pressure and you are still having the same issue, measure the circumference of the tires and inflate them so that they are all equal circumference and ignore the pressure. Or, swap them from one side to the other and see if the problem still persists.

i run tracks, but i know some tires have more air than others, 1 was flat. Its hard to get at the air valves when covered in snow and ice. i need to replace some of the tires so i will be removing the tracks after the snow is gone. i though there might be an adjustment or my tranny was having issues. thanks for the reply. its all a learning experience.

If one drive chain is a link longer it will also do this.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfox View Post
    If one drive chain is a link longer it will also do this.
    No, the number of links in the chain don't determine the relative drive-to-driven sprocket speeds. Sprocket size determines this. If you have one more link in one chain the chain adjusters will likely be in different positions to take up chain slack, but that has no bearing on how fast the wheel is turning.

Double check the circumference of your tires as suggested.
    Last edited by hydromike; 03-26-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    No, the number of links in the chain don't determine the relative drive-to-driven sprocket speeds. Sprocket size determines this. If you have one more link in one chain the chain adjusters will likely be in different positions to take up chain slack, but that has no bearing on how fast the wheel is turning.

Double check the circumference of your tires as suggested.

Steve these guys bring up good points, your machines have manual brakes and if one is to tight (dragging) it will pull.
    Try to jack up the machine with the sticks forward/ in neutral and see if one side has more drag than the other, if so loosen the brakes on tight side.
    If these items don't cure it perhaps you're holding the stick back slightly, manual brakes like to be held to the firewall. Or maybe your weight off to 1 side is causing it to overdrive the other side, try sitting in the middle with the machine empty.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

thanks i will count the links, should take awhile lol. Its worth the time i plan on keeping these running for years to come. i will inspect the chain and gears.

Jim you trying to say i am fat? lol j/k i have adjusted the brakes. still lots of pads. reading manuals i have learned how to adjust them properly, do not forget the follow up nut!vibration moves bolts. seems not to be pulling as much. i need to build a jack to lift the whole argo. project coming. thanks all. i have 6 new tires to put on as well.

+ Reply to Thread