Intro to Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intro to Argo

Intro to Argo

I am looking into purchasing a 2000 6x6 Argo and have a few questions about them. I love right next to a creek that runs pretty hard at certain times of the year. Can the Argo handle moving water or does it have to be stagnant?

Moving water=very bad situation. Depending how fast and deep the water a gas or electric trolling motor can be used.

Thanks for your help. How are they in gumbo mud?

Quote Originally Posted by kareed21 View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a 2000 6x6 Argo and have a few questions about them. I love right next to a creek that runs pretty hard at certain times of the year. Can the Argo handle moving water or does it have to be stagnant?
    Stagnant??? That sounds like very still water!There are lots of videos of Argos in water on this site. You should look at some of them and judge for yourself. 8 wheel machines feel much more stable than the six wheel ones but once you get used to being in the water they are stable too. The newer Argo tires are faster in the water and larger 12 inch tires offer more flotation than smaller ones. There are many types of mud,and some members on this site have tried to travel in many of them, usually with success.

Wasn't going to reply at first however we'd hate to see you disappointed or hurt, you will probably be impressed if you're currently 3 or 4 wheelin or walking.
    If the mud you're looking to ride in is tidal or silty you'll probably get stuck and belly out, tracks will help tremendously though they are NOT a cure all.
    I have been in a "hard" running creek with run off feeding it and it was a chore to cross ending up nowheres near I wanted to be (read far down creek) and was treacherous to exit without sinking, so calmer water the better. Some do run bays, rivers, creeks etc. with not still water, however, it will not fight a current with any speed nor is a chop preferable. An outboard will help a 9.9 is the highest recommended and after repairing a sunk machine which had a larger engine stand it up, and sink it, you should heed it.

So imo trying the machine where you plan to ride it may be best, especially if the current owner who is familiar with the machine will take you, and in the water. YOU will get stuck, a ton more often now than later, but stuck in some versions of mud. We all do.

Good luck.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I have a small river to cross. About 50 ft across. We will try shooting an arrow with a rope on it to pull myself across as there is a bit of current. 15' deep. i do not have outboards but do have trolling motors. there used to be a bridge there 30 years ago, gone now. Lake on other side has big bass! hopefully this summer pics to come.

Please be careful crossing creeks, have seen many an experienced rider overcome with confidence and get swept away. Have only seen four machines completely sunk, most have been partially submerged and then pulled out. On the submerged machines we pulled plugs, blew the water out, changed oil and filter, gear oil, and all four came back to life.

Water speed is hard to judge, anything flowing more than 1.5mph is potentially a hazard. The rope trick works as long as you can hold on to it. My advise is turn around don't drown. That applies to man and machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Please be careful crossing creeks, have seen many an experienced rider overcome with confidence and get swept away.

Water speed is hard to judge, anything flowing more than 1.5mph is potentially a hazard. The rope trick works as long as you can hold on to it. My advise is turn around don't drown. That applies to man and machine.
    Well written. Experience conquers much, but not all.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread