replacing front chains

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: replacing front chains

thanks again for the pointers guys.ive got the chain over the sprockets and the master link started,this chain is real tight.its only slightly shorter then the old one but boy its snug.have the vicegrips snapped on and a chain puller so gonna leave it like that overnight.should the new chain be that tight?dont remember it being that way when I rechained the conquest,and its the same chain.

I have a Fenner Drives chain puller that has always got me through the toughest chain replacements, but its never something I look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    thanks again for the pointers guys.ive got the chain over the sprockets and the master link started,this chain is real tight.its only slightly shorter then the old one but boy its snug.have the vicegrips snapped on and a chain puller so gonna leave it like that overnight.should the new chain be that tight?dont remember it being that way when I rechained the conquest,and its the same chain.
    When I redid my conquest this past fall it was very tight too.. supposed to be that way. Don't forget to use a quality chain lube. I had my daughter slowly turn a tire as i lubed each chain.

I've always used the old chain to lead the new chain in and around on any of my bikes. I always thought the same method could be used on an Argo too. Once your chain is split, hook end of new chain on end of old chain and pull it through. Easy.

got it all figured out,could not leave it alone till I did lol.removed tracks and jack the machine up,that way the tire can be turned to take up the chain slack.also buy good master links with the easy to install keepers.had some crappy morse masters here with plain jane keepers that are impossible for me to install.new tsubaki master links are real slick.

What I also do is lube the master link with 80/90 gear lube and it just slides right in with no effort.

that's a great idea as well dan67.replaced the other front chain this morning.cut the new one out of the roll then removed old chain.had the new one installed in a matter of minutes.cant believe I gave myself so much grief doing the first one.i swear im usually a little smarter then that.must be the pain meds kicking in.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dan67 View Post
    What I also do is lube the master link with 80/90 gear lube and it just slides right in with no effort.

Correctamundo..lol "the fonze"

+ Reply to Thread