alternator belt on my HDI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: alternator belt on my HDI

alternator belt on my HDI

while I was changing the front chains on the HDI I thought to myself,"how in the hell could I ever change the alternator belt"? is there even a way to check the tention? looks like it might be easier to tug the engine then try to burrow my large body into that tight space.lol. how does one go about this task?

cheers

For installing the alternator kits I have a piece of plywood cut to raise the floor about 8" on blocks. I can then do the install with my feet out the left side and still get an old fat boy back out. Without it I'm stuck on the floor. You can check belt tension by reaching in under the alternator. Thank God the belts last a long time.

that would suck for sure getting stuck in there,lol.when I installed the kit in my conquest I ended up pulling the rad out,made it much easier.will try reaching in tomorrow but will make sure wife is here to call 911 for me.lol.

Wish i could remember all the proper moves to tighten that sucker Plott,but i watched my voltmeter drop and the machine had to sit and idle awhile before the belt got enough grip to start charging because I was not lookin forward to addressing the issue,in the end jus had to pull the firewall insert myself on my head and take the punishment,wasnt as bad as I remembered there is a adjuster bolt to drag some tension on it all in all a bit of a struggle but doable,I still like the Argo best for a tough machine that is a breeze to load and haul but working on the main drive train is brutal for aged/ rotund/ people,working on my Attex or Max is childs play in direct comparison,mind you now that Iam thirty plus pounds lighter it helps.Cheers NCT

+ Reply to Thread