Hard Starting Vanguard After Sitting For a Month

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hard Starting Vanguard After Sitting For a Month

Hard Starting Vanguard After Sitting For a Month

I have a 03 Argo Vanguard, when it doesn't get started for a month or two, it has to turn over for 2min or more to fire when choked. Is it possible to put a primer bulb in the line to get the gas into the carb faster?

That can be done and will help,other than the fact in the winter that bulb will be hard as all get out they are not built for the cold,the "pulse pump"that was used on those were marginal at best on a Bigfoot we had years ago we eliminated the standard pump and opted for a low pressure electric pump that Argo used on the Conquest models,it dramatically improved its starting and overall performance,depending on where you live Iam sure that you would be able to find one aftermarket cheaper than the Argo original.NCT

Before I'd mess with a primer job, I'd check for water in the fuel. I'd remove the fuel hose from the inlet to the carburetor and put it in a pickle jar. Crank the engine and put about 2" of fuel in the jar. Take a smell of it, and look at it real close. You should have a strong gasoline smell, and not see any distinct liquids in the jar.

I'm thinking that this is another curse of ethanol laced fuel, not only does it cause condensation to form faster than typical fuels, it also goes flat quickly (30 days or so) and also causes the rubber fuel lines to break down quickly.

I use Startron brand fuel additive/life increaser to all my gas fired motors, the ones that get it do well, others as in loaned out generally come back with problems. That's why I don't loan stuff out anymore.

As Noel Woods mentioned, ethanol laced fuels are causing problems when used in any engine that does not get constant usage. I only use premium gasoline from shell Canada in any small engine I own. They guarantee that their supreme or v-power is ethanol free. A good fuel stabilizer is also beneficial. There is a website called pure-gas.org that lists gas stations across Canada and the US that offer ethanol free gasoline. I would inspect the entire fuel system for damage or cracks before adding a primer. My 1990 magnum had a cracked pick up tube causing the fuel system to draw air. It cracked right where it threads into the top of the fuel tank.

Where abouts in Northern Ontario are you? I am in Sudbury area.

I am in Timmins.

I had the same issue with my 1979 Argo. I used a premium 93 octane fuel but it did contain ethanol which gummed up the fuel line.
    I was pulling out strings of the stuff after letting my Argo sit over the winter.

ethanol will settle to the bottom of the tank and carb bowl in just a few weeks, won't fire t'il it gets gas to the jet.

Bad stuff for anything thats not used weekly.

It is mostly ethanol gas that causes the hard starts after leaving it sit for a while. My Avenger has gotten better since I started using Marine Sta-bil in the fuel tank to preserve the gas. I can leave the old girl parked for 6 months, and she'll start fairly quickly with only a few turns of the engine. Before I discovered Marine Sta-bil though, that ethanol gas really plugged up the original carburetor, and it wouldn't do anything. I ordered a new carburetor, put it on there, and it came right back to life again. One day soon, I'll find time to take the original carb. apart for a good cleaning, and then I'll pack it under the seat, for just in case. Another hard starting item which I discovered was the battery cable which is held on there by a small bolt, had loosened up, not real noticeably, but was loose. I couldn't figure it out, as I had charged the battery, and it had plenty of amperage, but the starter was really sluggish, and slow. I was really scratching my head over it, and when I went to put the battery cover back on, I felt that cable move while my finger brushed up against it. Like I said, not real noticeable, but loose all the same. I tightened it up good, and the starter came on real strongly again. It did have me guessing for a while there though, since the machine only has 12 hours total time since new, so shouldn't be having a lot of problems yet...

+ Reply to Thread