Argo engine problems

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo engine problems

Argo engine problems

I'm having a problem with my 2009 Argo Avenger 750 EFI and was hoping someone might be able to help before I have to take it in for servicing and perhaps have to spend big bucks. I've had a plow on it all winter. If I went out now and started it, it would start no problem. If I started plowing with it, it would be fine until about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. Then, it would start to act up ... usually starting while I was backing up. The best way to describe it would be to say it sputters like it's not getting the gas properly ... Or only working on one cylinder. Rev it's up and it sort of goes away, but definitely not completely gone. Shut it down and come back tomorrow and it would be fine ... until the usual 1/2 hour or so of use. It's not the gas ... using supreme in it actually. It's not water in the gas ... treated the tank with SeaFoam motor treatment. It's not the plugs ... put in new ones. It's not the tank or the filter that's on the bottom of the pickup tube ... I took that out and checked everything last fall. I did have a problem last year with it hard starting ... a relay had come unplugged ... but, that's not the problem now. I wouldn't think it'd be a fuel filter or it would act up right away, wouldn't it? Air filter doesn't look dirty ... but, I suppose I could wait for it to act up and then pull it and see if it improves anything. Don't like to run it without the filter, though. Back, in the late 60's or early 70's if the engine started acting like this after it had warmed up, I'd be thinking about replacing the coil. I believed that Kohler engine might have a coil. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this ... or would have any ideas on what's causing it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zircon; 04-11-2015 at 11:54 PM.

sounds like one of your coils is getting weak when then get hot then can fade

check the spade connections on your coils.i had a loose one on the rear cylinder,drove me nuts trying to find the problem.

Plot hound is right on these. engines have a coil for each cylinder and I've had several that had loose connectors at the coil and would loose one cylinder at times.

So, if it is one of the coils, how difficult a job would it be to replace it??

I would also check to see that your gas tank is venting properly.

I had a similar problem with an EFI kohler in a commercial mower. They used an in-tank electric fuel pump and over the years the rubber grommet that the fuel pump "mounts" into had degraded and been picked up by the pump. Basically the strainer was open when I started mowing and a little in it would clog up with the trash, shut it off and the garbage would drop off and it would go again. I replaced the pump and grommet with one from amazon and kept the old pump for a backup. Not sure if the older EFI machines used an electric pump or not- my new one has a cam powered pump (Might have an electric also I dont know).. IF all else fails this may help.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

Thanks plott hound and msafi65! The spade connection on the coil on the rear cylinder was loose. I tightened it up ... not easy doing that what with the short wire and the restricted space down there ... and took her for a run in the mountains yesterday. Everything worked well. No problems. Good thing, too. Don't know how I would have got back if it had broken down up there (see photos). I keep telling my wife I need to get another Argo ... a 6 wheel ... for her that I can put in the back of the pickup while I tow mine behind. She won't go for it for some reason. :-)

Last edited by Zircon; 04-22-2015 at 01:08 PM.

Same symptoms has happened on many engines I've own.. Even dirty Fuel filters do let ya.run alittle ways. I replace most of my "toys" fuel filter. They're cheaper than a long walk home.

That is a great place to have lunch. Wish I could do that. Mine is up in northern Minnesota and this past Sunday it was -47. Too cold for me. Glad to hear you got your coil figured out.

+ Reply to Thread