leak in front right wheel bearing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leak in front right wheel bearing

leak in front right wheel bearing

I have a late 70's model T base Argo that has started to leak water into the machine from the front right wheel bearing. I am looking at replacing the bearings, can anyone tell me how I locate part numbers and also any tips on where to order parts from for these older machines. Serial number is T4021, not sure if that helps.
    Attached Images

argo parts

Quote Originally Posted by gotrippedoff View Post
    I have a late 70's model T base Argo that has started to leak water into the machine from the front right wheel bearing. I am looking at replacing the bearings, can anyone tell me how I locate part numbers and also any tips on where to order parts from for these older machines. Serial number is T4021, not sure if that helps.
    Its easy to locate parts from dealers or often from other members on this site. Where are you. By the way is that ever a nice looking machine.
    Last edited by philipatmaxfour; 04-15-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: looked at pictures

I am in Wisconsin. The closest dealer is in Beaver Dam. Thank you for the compliment, I had to stick a good chunk of money into it to get it where it is today. Just wish I would have been able to put it in the water before I replaced all of the chains on it. After I thought it was ready to go, I drove it into the water and started to take on a lot of water. Thank goodness for the bilge pump I put in
    Also, is it a good idea to replace the drive axels as well since I will be replacing the bearings? Also does anyone know if it is possible to get splined axels for these instead of the roller pinned ones that are currently on it, or would that be a lot of work to modify?
    I would like to put tracks on it someday and I am afraid the smaller axels and roller pins would not stand up to the torque that tracks would put on them. Thanks

That is a cool looking Argo! I really like the early ones!

Yes Argo owners in wisconsin should think about having tracks for winter use. I will wait for some of the experts like Argo Jim to chime in with precise info but I,m sure that axle upgrades are easy.

OK I contacted the dealer to see if they can locate part numbers and new axles for me.
    Anyone know where I can locate a repair manual for a late 70's model argo 1979?

If anyone is interested or looking here is a link to the parts manual I was looking for earlier.
    https://dealer.odg.com/pdfDocs/vehic...al%2077-87.pdf

I am still looking for a place to buy these older parts, the only dealer I know of in the area said they do not or cannot get parts for these older models. Anyone have any suggestions? Looking for an axle and bearing kit. Thanks

Try starting a thread in the wanted section of the forum for the axle. The bearings you should be able to source on your own at you local bearing supply house.

Thanks Mike, I didn't know you could get the bearing kits from anywhere, thought they might be proprietary to argo's. Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread