Louvers for heat

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Louvers for heat

Louvers for heat

Has anyone ever put in closeable louvers into the engine compartment for adding heat to the passenger compartment?
    Thoughts?

Yes, accidentally. I was exploring the possibility of using a bilge blower which fit in a hole in the firewall of an Argo Frontier. My plan was to blow cool air into the hood to limit overheating. Inadvertantly, I placed the blower in backwards and it blew warm air into the passenger compartment. Then I figured a 3 way switch would allow me to reverse the flow of air, which it did.

It worked pretty well for several years until the blower gave out, and I never replaced it. In Texas where I live, we really want to get rid of the heat more than directing it into the passenger area, but I could see where you guys up north might want to capture the heat. Later on I added a grill over the exhaust manifold, and small hood scoops to get more air flow going on, that worked pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by treetop62 View Post
    Has anyone ever put in closeable louvers into the engine compartment for adding heat to the passenger compartment?
    Thoughts?
    I always end up removing some of the windows in the standard soft top before I go very far. My avenger never goes much over an indicated 170* but it sure blows heat into the cabin with a roof on. Good luck with your new toy.

Let me clear that up a bit. I want to add heat via louvers through the plastic engine cover, beside the shifter somewhere, that i can open or close. You are correct I am up north and the $600 price tag is a little steep for a glorified heat box. Just wondering if anyone has done it, or had a couple pics of how they did it? I suspect that the engine throws ample heat, even in cold conditions. If the fresh air intake is high and i mount these louvers somewhat lower. I should still get the engine cooling i need plus be able to get myself some heat in the cab.

[QUOTE=treetop62;186377]Has anyone ever put in closeable louvers into the engine compartment for adding heat to the passenger compartment?
    Thoughts?[/QUOTE)

Do you have any type of top on your unit now? A top is the best way to hold heat in the cabin,even without cutting up the firewall.

Hit the junk yard. Find a big truck. Remove the vents. They will open and close by hand. Just have to find one that will fit your machine!

+ Reply to Thread