Auto chain lube system

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auto chain lube system

Auto chain lube system

Chew on this and opinion up,spent some time on the net checking things out and pose this question for different views,on my upcoming dry dock overhaul on the Avenger Iam looking very seriously at the auto chain lube system,my question is what about using a canola or vegetable based cooking oil,now that your laughing it up think about some of the advantages no water fouling,environmentally friendly,easy clean up,the chains in a 6 or 8 wheeler travel pretty slow(at least in my Argo)so the fling off of lube is not that big a deal.It would make for a cleaner machine what do ya think open minded.NCT

First off, I have run draglines and excavators with auto lube systems and they work fine. The veggy oil seems a bit thin to me to provide good lubing. A good petroleum base lube is going to be hard to beat. The veggy oil isn't water soluble so I don't think your clean up will be all that easy either. Heck, give it a try and see what happens. You may be on to something good.

Veggie oil may not be the best lubricant, but I think that any is better than nothing. Let us know how it works out.

I found that vegetable oil and water turn into paste, after that it turns into like glue. I burned it in my waste oil furnace for yrs, My pump transfer trailer had a chain driven pump which leaked a bit onto the chain. everything stuck to it, dirt, sand etc.

That was used oil soo. maybe new oil would work

I have the auto lube system on my XTI it is the best thing and will purchase it for my next machine again no more hassles on lubricating the chains. I do not find it any messier in the tub than my last avenger with no lube system a quart will last 40 hrs of running. The motor oils have been formulated to provide protection under high loads the vegatable oils will not give you that prorection as the chains and pins are subject to high loads when the machine is working hard especially with tracks. I think it would be wise to use the motor oil I run synthetic in the winter and 10w 30 if the temp is O celcius or above the rest of the time. I think if you have extra money for chains replacement give it a try and let us know how yuo make out.

See where some use it with chain saws so got me thinking,irregardless all chains and sprockets to be replaced and a auto lube is going on,to be perfectly honest I get pretty fair chain life and probably dont get to chain service enough using a motorcycle lube,40 hours out of a quart,well my chains currently dont see that much lube thats for sure so this has got to increase life of chains by a good measure,and good point Nubs never considered water mixing,let you know how we make out scheduled dry dock is in May heck its bug season so I will be spending time in the shop.NCT

I have the best success with good old fashioned messy gear lube!Nice and thick and sticky.

Veggie oil is to temperature sensitive and breaks down to easily. I wouldn't depend on it... Hell I wouldn't even depend on the auto chain lubricator.... A good ole spray can of chain lube is the best for me.

I use to think the same way until I picked up this machine with the auto lube sustem I work my machine very hard and have 300 hours on it and almost 5000km half of that is with rubber tracks in the winter my chains are about 60% worn. With my avenger previously I would get about 200 hours and the chains were done. I lubed them often with good lubricant but you cannot compare it to the auto luber it has made me a believer.

+ Reply to Thread