Bigfoot Axel Play

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bigfoot Axel Play

Bigfoot Axel Play

Newbie question - Just picked up a 1999 Bigfoot. With it jacked up, I noticed that axels have a significant amount of play. Does this indicate shot bearings?

Probably outer bearings are shot. Grease them and see if stops but that fix won't last. If that doesn't help then it replace bearings. Will also leak water with shotty bearings. Call Buffalo Bearings. May want to replace the inner bearings while axles are out also then all are starting from zero time. With axles out check the seals also and damage to the axle by the seals may see a groove worn into axle by seal. If not bad can be repaired with some JB weld, there's a how to on this site. These are all things I found due to shotty maintenance on my 01 Bigfoot when I bought it. Be prepared for stuck parts, but all easy to repair or replace and lots of advice from the folks on this site.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor. After looking at it closer, the outer bearings appear to have set screw holes but no set screws. Normal? It also appears that the sprockets have been reversed at some point because I can see set screw intents the same distance from sprocket center but exactly opposite and the sprocket teeth appear worn on the back side. Anything to be concerned about?

Look at the exposed teeth on the sprockets if they are shark finned then probably been reversed. I replaced some sprockets on mine when doing bearings and chain. I had two I couldn't get the set screws out so I cut them out and replaced the sprocket. I had a right front outer bearing that was gone broken into pieces so I figured the maintenance had been less than ideal so I replaced alot of components in the drive train. I have maintained my machine ever since with zero issues. I drove mine around with that bearing busted for about 10 hours before tearing into it and surprised how robust these machines are, but wouldn't want a breakdown out on the trails.
    The front axle sprockets don't have set screws and normal. replace the lip seals in the outer bearing flange also. You'll see once you go through and replace the worn out components it will give you the knowledge and peace of mind of how to repair and maintain these machines.

Trevor

+ Reply to Thread