Review on the new Argo Frontier 8x8 EFI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Review on the new Argo Frontier 8x8 EFI

Review on the new Argo Frontier 8x8 EFI

Just some thoughts on my new Frontier 750 EFI

Love the 3.3 low range transmission. The old style transmission does eat power at low speeds but the Kohler engine and clutching on the new Frontier is so good that you can over come that with a hand full of throttle and a little learned driving technique.
    Once you have the steering down you can control the machine very well with quick short jabs at the sticks while the HDI requires and smooth constant turning technique. Both transmissions have advantages and disadvantages. The HDI works well in the mud, all you have to do is point it and grab throttle. The old style transmission allows you to lock down one side which helps in tight situations and gives better control in the water.
    I recommend the new hood cooling fan which draws hot air out of the engine bay and helps keep you and the machine cool in hot weather.
    Love that new Kohler air cooled 750cc EFI.

Cool video-
    Dan, I too like the old-stye 3.3 transmission. My EFI frontier clutching engages just off idle, but I have found that while descending very steep hills I need to become more familiar with the amount of throttle required. Mine seems to be a bit finicky compared to other argos I've owned. There seems to be a very fine line between the machine either freewheeling...or accelerating down the hill. There is a nice throaty exhaust sound to keep you in tune with RPM. I did add (2) UHMW bearings in addition to HD outer bearing/flange on the center axles - Buzz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APlHVW0R-WM

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Cool video-
    Dan, I too like the old-stye 3.3 transmission. My EFI frontier clutching engages just off idle, but I have found that while descending very steep hills I need to become more familiar with the amount of throttle required. Mine seems to be a bit finicky compared to other argos I've owned. There seems to be a very fine line between the machine either freewheeling...or accelerating down the hill. There is a nice throaty exhaust sound to keep you in tune with RPM. I did add (2) UHMW bearings in addition to HD outer bearing/flange on the center axles - Buzz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APlHVW0R-WM
    Hey Buzz, I didn't know you bought one of the new Frontier EFI's-nice machine I am still getting use to the steering, the HDI made life easier but after a while steering the frontier becomes automatic. Your testing ground in the video looks like Argo country, I am not sure anything with wheels will go through that area.

Dan, I know you understand about switching machines. Once the amphibious bug hits you, it's really hard to not want to tweak/modify and try new machines. Seems like it's always a constant search and experiment
    We'll try to get these guys some more videos if possible

congratulations on the new machine. what made you change from the HDI to the frontier? Did you give any consideration to the 6x6HDI.

Cool video! Was expecting to see an alligator any minute. :-) If you break down out there, hope you've got some way to get someone come pick you up. You aren't walking out of there. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Zircon View Post
    Cool video! Was expecting to see an alligator any minute. :-) If you break down out there, hope you've got some way to get someone come pick you up. You aren't walking out of there. LOL.
    I generally don't go back into areas like this with out another Argo or two or three other AATV's but I didn't have time to put together a ride.

Yes there are alligators and snakes in this water, you do have to be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by radar View Post
    congratulations on the new machine. what made you change from the HDI to the frontier? Did you give any consideration to the 6x6HDI.
    On the first day of the Mud Nationals I begin having alternator issues with my HDI, the second day I blew my right front wheel bearing. Tim brought three new machines and a demo to the mud nationals. One was a camouflage 8x8 Frontier EFI the exact machine I had been considering.

I gave very, very strong consideration to the new 6x6 EFI Frontier HDI but a few minutes in a 6x6 at the mud nationals reminded me of just how much better an 8x8 rides so the the 8x8 won out.

Nice video, I do enjoy seeing the primordial Georgia swamps.

I agree, the new Frontier 8x8 is a lot of bang for the buck. Good power, well balanced, comfortable. And with the Adair tracks a real B.A. in the mud. My yellow machine came from the same litter as your camo machine.

I do enjoy the HDI as well, but the cost savings is considerable just going with the Frontier 8x8, and the Argo engineers have done a great job in listening to feedback from their clients. I can't wait to compare the upcoming Mudd Ox Max 4 8x8 with our machines.

+ Reply to Thread