bigfoot 6x6 brakes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bigfoot 6x6 brakes

Thanks for the help, all I Ment for the calipers was to just replace the 3 seals in them. I'm going to try to get the parts ordered this week.

And thoughts on "Argo adventure" for parts? Is there a better place. The closest dealer is about 1.5 hr from me and would rather just pay to ship them.

Got my parts ordered so they should be here first of next week.

I've done several drum brakes before but never disk, after releasing the brake lever what moves the pads back off the rotor to keep them from dragging? Thanks!

I ordered most of my parts from Argo Adventure. Better prices than All Seasons Argo in my state of Alaska. I never had any problems with them.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Does Argo still recommended to use dot 5 silicone brake fluid?

Disc brakes kinda do drag by design.

Since you've never rebuilt a caliper: You can remove the pistons with a shot of compressed air. DO NOT - DO NOT - DO NOT put anything you want to keep between the pistons when you do this - it will remove fingers - the pressure is HUGE. I usually stuff a rag in that space so pistons don't fly away. I use the blower nozzle and you don't have to seal it to the caliper. Just get close and squirt a burst.

The bleeder valve uses a steel ball bearing. Take a look to see if it has rusted up and needs replacing. Sucks to find this out when you go to bleed the brakes.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can get on it monday or Tuesday. I changed the oil tonight and getting the oil out is a pain. I did have some small plastic tubing that I was able to put down the dip stick then used a hand pump to get most of it. With very big hands you wouldn't even be able to get to the drain plug. A 3ft hose in the drain plug capped on the end I thinkwould be perfect. Maybe next oil change i can make one for it.

Got the brakes put on yesterday and everything seems to run good now. Now I need to change the transmission fluid and grease everything up good.

Well I greased the chains and got a chance to ride around for an hour or so last weekend and the brakes still have a little jump to them. I pulled the calipers off tonight and will change the seals and all new brake fluid in it. Is dot 5 still recommend?

Also it looks like the chains coming out of the transmission have a decent bit of slack to them. It looks like there are 2 bolts under the seat side of the transmission to raise it. Which bolts need to be loosened to raise it? Thank you all for your help so far!

Dot 5 fluid is correct. To adjust the primary chains loosen two 15/16" bolts that pass through the power pack mount. One is where the two verticals bolts are that are used to adjust tension the other is just in front of the chain. Both are accessed from the clutch side. The Argo service manual is available online. It has more detail than I can give.

Ok, got the Pistons out no problem. However I cannot get the Allen bolts out that hold the two halves together. Also I noticed looking at the brake pads that half of one of the pads is already worn out

Got it apart! Just took using a cheater pipe on the ratchet, they were tight!

Any ideas on what would cause one of the pads to wear down 50% in less than 2 hours.
    Last edited by Arkmill; 05-29-2015 at 09:26 PM.

+ Reply to Thread