bigfoot 6x6 brakes

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bigfoot 6x6 brakes

bigfoot 6x6 brakes

first post, I've got a 6x6 bigfoot with 150hrs, that when you pull either brake lever it jumps back and forth. I pulled all of the covers off and noticed that the rotor is rusted up. going slow I can feel the rough spots on the rotor as they come in contact with the pads. I've thought of just using scotch bright pads to remove the rust? any thoughts?

Welcome to 6x6world. Yes,cleaning the discs may be all that's necessary to smooth things out a bit. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 05-04-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Got home tonight and pulled the caliper off the right side and used a beartex pad to smooth it down. Put it back together and rode around a little. The brake is still kicking back and with it being dark I could see a few sparks coming out! When I had the caliper out looking down into it one side has a plate with a pad attached, the other is just a plate. Are both sides supposed to have the plate and pad?

Pads. I think your brake pads need replacing.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Brake pads are a basicly square metal plate with two holes at corners for cotter pins. The friction material attached is about 5/16" thick when new. Sounds like worn out pads and the rotor may be ruined also. Rotor should be very smooth on both sides.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Here is a picture of what I am talking about. Am I missing the left brake pad?

Defiantly need new pads. One is good the other is worn right off. As mentioned your rotor may need turning or replacing too. Is the calliper seized or sticking? Sorry for your luck.

Camo side up, Rubber side down!!
    2014 Argo 750HDI SE
    2008 Honda Rubicon, Camo
    2008 Jeep Rubicon, Black, 2 door, 6sp, 2 Warn winches.

Well the other caliper looks the same so I'll change out both sets of pads, might be a good time to do the calipers also. Is the a preferred vender I should look at? Thanks for the help!

Don't buy new calipers unless there is a corrosion/breakage problem. Get the rebuild kit. There is really nothing to rebuilding these.

If there is no damage to the calipers then no need to replace them. Change out the pads.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread