kawaski 20hp bogging down

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: kawaski 20hp bogging down

Kawasaki 20hp and the Mystery of the Scary Rattling Noise

Hi, after my argo magnums kohler died on me I transplanted in a Kawasaki 20hp from a conquest, and it ran like a dream, could turn from a dead stop in high. however a few I had an issue with the driven clutch sticking so I took it out and freed it up with some wd-40 and everything seemed fine, however now it cant turn without it taking a huge circle and a bunch of short bursts and can barely pull through mild mud in high. everything seems normal in low but I just seem to lose all power in high and as the rpms climb I seem to have less power.
    I recently cleaned the carb and everything is running great but I just cant work out the power loss issue, im thinking its an issue with the driven clutch? would anyone know where to start with this?
    thanks
    Last edited by shizzles2; 06-01-2015 at 03:56 PM.

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:08 AM.

hmm we did a full carb strip down recently and im pretty sure im already on champion plugs, which were also replaced recently. although ill pull the plugs again when im checking my idler shafts and front chains. ( weird grinding noise , doesn't seem to be transmission related, im thinking worn idler shaft bearing or maybe brakes)

okay, stripped the clutch down and found out that the clutch just need re-adjusting, back to doing 360 turns in high gear. however the really scary sounding rattle has not gone away, I know its not coming from the engine and I noticed the bronze bushing in the secondary clutch seemed very worn, the rattling noise gets worse with higher revs as the driven clutch engages, does anyone know if the bushing could be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by shizzles2 View Post
    okay, stripped the clutch down and found out that the clutch just need re-adjusting, back to doing 360 turns in high gear. however the really scary sounding rattle has not gone away, I know its not coming from the engine and I noticed the bronze bushing in the secondary clutch seemed very worn, the rattling noise gets worse with higher revs as the driven clutch engages, does anyone know if the bushing could be the problem?
    Yes, good self diagnosis.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by shizzles2 View Post
    Yep, that would certainly do it!
    For the price and the time, I would rebuild both clutches while you have them off.

Shizzles, what does the rattling sound like? Does it go "ting-ting"? It could be the pulley on the driven clutch hitting the disk brake rotor at hi revs from a bad bushing or a bad bearing on the trans input shaft.
    Happy hunting... RR

ive changed the bushing which was very worn, however now its contacting the brake disc and the whole cutch assembly seems to have spread apart along the shaft so im going to take it back off and see what I have put together wrong.
    also whats involved in rebuilding the driven clutch? the primary clutch had a rebuild recently I think. ( its from an earlier argo than my gearbox is)
    (sorry for the late reply, been busy with college and have just got back round to my argo)
    thanks,

Sounds as if the snap ring came loose. There are spacers that many late G,M,H transmissions run to space the driven.
    Last edited by ARGOJIM; 10-12-2015 at 09:11 PM.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread