New Argo owner... of old Argo...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Argo owner... of old Argo...

Couple more. I appreciate any help you guys can give. What did they call these models? Will get the fuel tank out & cleaned this week, get a battery in it, & hopefully get it running. Then I'll know where things really stand :-) I do have the firewall, hood, & floor liners.
    Attached Images

Gday , I'm no expert but my project chains were hitting the chassis rails and springs on tensioners were not stretched.that's how I figured I needed new chains. Your secondery clutch looks like mine of a 1996 conquest. Looks pretty clean. I would take chains off and give them a clean if they are not strecthed . Then you will no for sure your condition of bearings. I thought only one of my bearings were gone till I took the chains off.cheers

That looks a little like mine. Mine is an 80's IC with dual 50 roller chains and a kohler m18.

Check all your bearings as well as the chains. I had to replace all my bearings and ended up making all new axles. The sprockets on my unit are pined to the shafts.

Yours looks good. Congrats!!

Cool project you have there

Thanks guys!
    I started another thread so I will post all new info there.
    Rusty-Gun, yup that's me! Haven't been playing with the handgun at all this spring. My wife got me a new Ruger Guide Gun in 375 Ruger for our 25th anniversary & I am ion love with that gun (her too...)! I'm thinking that's going to be my new do-all tool. That & the Argo :-)

Thanks guys.
    I've been out of town for a few days so I'm just getting back to this project (although playing catch-up at work won't allow much project time).
    I stopped by a local small engine place this morning that has had an old argo 8x8 about the same era sitting beside it for a couple years.
    5 almost new Cheng Shin Lumberjack 22x11-8s on wheels (missing the other 3 wheels & tires), full skid plate (my project only has short skid plate), unbutchered firewall (mine was pretty hacked up), factory winch mount, blower & ducting for brake cooling. Chains APPEAR to be in nice shape wear wise (no sag top or bottom). Spare set of short control sticks with brackets, muffler, front floor pan, & misc. No tranny in it but the guy thinks he has some tranny stuff somewhere & will do some digging. Remembered that he had a Kohler Series 2 sitting on his bench that was probably out of it. Dug down to it & sure enough, still attached to the engine/tranny frame(no tranny). Doesn't remember anything about it but assumes it's not a runner since it's on the bench. He wanted $450. I got it $400.
    So I have $650 total in my Argo project & so far all I am sure I need are 3 more matching tires ($250 with shipping from Amazon). Hopefully for $1000 I will have a running Argo ready for winch, & a floating Argo trailer on 4 wheels, along with a few spare parts, including a rebuildable (I'm figuring worst case on it) motor. We will see!
    Now I just have to explain more yard art to my wife when she gets back in town tomorrow...

Hubcap, it may indeed be a later Argo clutch (not aftermarket). I don't remember just haw the guy worded it but he said that the Argo dealer recommended this one rather than the original.
    Last edited by Vance in AK; 06-17-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Vance... I sold my Ruger 480 to a friend. This gets me out of the handgun hunting fun again. Someday I hope to buy another Ruger.
    Good luck on the Argo rebuild.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Vance... I sold my Ruger 480 to a friend. This gets me out of the handgun hunting fun again. Someday I hope to buy another Ruger.
    Good luck on the Argo rebuild.
    Thanks Rusty
    Plan is my 480 is going on the block to finance the Argo rebuild. Bittersweet.

+ Reply to Thread