New Argo owner... of old Argo...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Argo owner... of old Argo...

New Argo owner... of old Argo...

Well it looks like I bought my first Argo. A friend checked it out for me & sent me the pics below. Said it looks sound just needs some TLC... It has a few parts that need replaced but the owner has the new parts & just never put them on. He bought a couple of new 4 wheelers a few years back & just parked this. All 8 tires still have air. Not sure of the year. He bought it new in the 80s. Said its a 17hp Kohler & has the double drive chains, hydraulic brakes, pinned sprockets(). BUT, the price is right! Let's just say it was cheaper than the new toilet installed in the house yesterday!
    Can anyone give me an approximate year & model?
    No doubt I will be picking your brains plenty as I go through it & get it ready for moose hunting.

[ATTACH]Our Argo 1.jpg[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images

Hi Vance, welcome to the forum. I'm not any help on identifying the year but I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

Hey Vance, congrats on new machine, If I had to guess I'd imagine near 83-85 as the sticks are up higher.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks guys.
    I should get it home Saturday. Is there a place I can look up the serial # to make sure of the year?

May still be a tag on the firewall then, if not center of dash? KB model?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Ill look for the data plate & serial # when I pick it up. Providing the data plate is still present is there a place I can look the serial # up to find out the year of manufacture?

Are you the handgun hunter from that handgun hunter site? I recognize your name. Welcome to 6x6world.com
    I used to prefer to purchase Argo pthearts from Argo Adventure | Argo Atv | Argo Parts
    Cheaper than Anchorage.
    Last edited by Rusty-Gunn; 06-13-2015 at 04:28 AM. Reason: p
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Ill look for the data plate & serial # when I pick it up. Providing the data plate is still present is there a place I can look the serial # up to find out the year of manufacture?
    I think there is a thread on this site where members list their serial numbers and year of mfg. but I forget whether that is for Argo machines or Max machines. I know that Argo will answer your question if you contact them directly.

The serial number thread is for Max aatvs.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Got my project Argo home. What have I got?

So I got her home. I think I have my $250 worth & maybe some change
    There are no #s on the firewall or anywhere else I can find. Old owner said he thought early 80s? Sound right?
    Kohler 17hp
    Was converted to short brake sticks
    Hasn't been started in years but engine was free & oil was clean (same in tranny). I pulled the plugs & put some WD-40 in both cylinders & let it sit a while & then turned it by hand. Engine turned freely (says it was running fine when he parked it).
    He said he replaced the driven clutch with an aftermarket recommended by the Argo dealer & it wouldn't work with the drive clutch so he quit messing with it. He couldn't remember what the issue was. Hopefully the pic will show up with driven clutch & you all can give me some ideas. Had a ton of grease & sludge in the bottom of the tub but I got it cleaned out.
    I know I will need tires. Any idea what the biggest tires that will fit are (8" rims)?
    Probably need chains, but not sure yet.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread