Conquest project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conquest project

Conquest project

Hello from Australia. I'm doing some work on my new to me conquest and have a couple questions. Usually I just do a search but couldn't find what I wanted.

Firstly, when replacing new axle and bearings, and greasing them are they usually stiff to turn by hand? I have watched all Rock Doctor (legend) YouTube so think I have done it correctly.standard bearings tho.

And is it OK to use Dot 5.1? That's all I can find locally.

Thanks

For the bearings, they are sometimes a little stiff to turn. Do you have the tires on it yet? That extra weight/leverage should help them spin.

Thanks mike. I put the rest in and they all feel the same. I thought I may be able to take it for a ride this weekend but went to bleed the new master cylinder and the caliper leaks brake fluid on the join line! So I guess I'm going to know all about argo brake calipers aswell!

Thought I better put a few pics up and give a bit of history.1st one picking my $500 eBay,10hr drive argo up.
    Attached Images

Work done so far-
    Noticed a axle had a bit of movement and chain was hitting chassis rails, so removed chains then found three axles had a bit of movement! Replaced all bearings on three axles and found one HD axle on eBay in Aus aswell as four used tyres, which from previous pic you will notice four tyres have been flat for ten odd years!and are stuffed.

Also rhs brakes were not working. I replaced master cylinder and small o ring in caliper.And carby
    was full of crap.

New chains today. Started off with the hard to reach ones first then by the time I got to the rear ones I was a pro! I should have learnt on the easy ones!

Also put in bilge pump because I live on a river! I put it on the op side to most but I did it that way cause I had that axle out.

That's it for now but I would like to thank this forum and its ease of search function. Aswell as rock doctors YouTube postings.
    Attached Images

Sounds like you are getting it back into shape and should be able to enjoy it again soon.

Finished her off tonight. Needs a bit of bleeding work on the brakes. How far do the steering levers usually come back when turning?

Rundown in $ in Australia:

Purchase=$500 + twenty hour round trip to pick up.
    Chains= $700 tsubaki but only had to drive 5 min up the road to supplier. Really struggled to find supplier locally and online in Australia cheaper. I have enough time now to sought cheaper price for next time.

Argo parts: $400 (master cylinder,bearings,2 axles seals, etc)

Future list :

Alternator kit, mount outboard, buying two new wheels and 22 argo tyres ( too expensive to ship from USA and really struggling to get argo Australia to measure tyres for 24's) build rack for back for chainsaw. Source tank for back to spray weeds. Anyone spray weeds with theirs?

Cheers
    Attached Images

+ nearly forgot 4 secondhand wheels and tyres $400. Also taking off the rubber "dress" skirt eventually. But has bolts every six inches! I'm pretty stoked at the price that its happening for. I only just started a 'argo' fund after having a ride of a mates response. I've seen mid eighties argo's sell for 4000 over here.

I bought it mainly for farm work. Have a quad already but am looking at using it to spray weeds. With the payload hopefully I can find a 2-300 LT tank that will fit in the back. Going to have to take a bit of lucerene to the cows in it. Took it for a ride to check them and they bolted to the other side of the paddock!!

Congrats! Looks like you got a great rig for your investment. I know that here in Alaska about $3000 is where they seem to bottom out for a functioning Argo 8 wheeler, regardless of year.

I love that the chain cost you more than the eight wheeler. It really starts to add up fast. I think I spent about the same amount on chains for my 8x8 so don't feel too bad. Anyway, congratulations on getting it up and going.

+ Reply to Thread