2003 Centaur

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2003 Centaur

Finally got done changing all the axel oils and paint the thing. Looks quite good now It's raining a lot these days, but will get a picture as soon as the weather is better. Have also mounted the winch package and got the winch up and running. I do have a question. The chains seem to need some thightening. I have gotten the rear ones done, but the second one from the rear is really difficult to get to. I opened the engine cover, but what tool to use to get down there ? dont want to remove the engine

Hey Viking, tried finding a decent picture of that area but the one attached was the best I could find. Do you have spring loaded chain tensioners like those shown in the pic? I think the earlier models had manually adjusted tensioning. Is that what you're trying to get to, the tensioners? Or are you trying to replace the chain? Either way, you should be able to get the rear panel off so the machine looks like it does in the picture to get access to the second-from-rear chains. It's the ones from the transmission forward to the second axle that are going to be more challenging!

Yes, its tightning Im trying to do. Hopefully I can use the chains as is for a short hunting season and change them next year. You have to turn some bolt nuts to thighten them, not auto tightning I had the panel of, but looks like there might be another panel up against the transmission I can remove. Its the ones on the top of the Picture I have tried now. Havent looked at the front yet, that might be even worse

Yes, you should definitely be able to remove that transmission panel. Hopefully makes your task a lot easier. Never actually did that procedure myself. I did find an owner's manual from that vintage machine that outlines the chain tightening procedure:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6d...NrRWNnZjg/view

Found it here with some other parts manuals that may be of use to you:
    Argo Centaur 8x8 Manuals

Thanks, sort of got it done. Will try to use it this autum for hunting and then do more maintainace in the spring.
    Hopefully the chains won't break or damage the machine.

I have connected a winch up front now, does anybody know if I need to put a strap on the vehicle in the back, to hold it in place when I winch in a tree ? or is it enugh to just put on the parking brake ?
    These are noe very big trees though, just 4-5 meters high and 5" wide.

+ Reply to Thread