Silly rookie question. Parking brakes early 80s Argo?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Silly rookie question. Parking brakes early 80s Argo?

Silly rookie question. Parking brakes early 80s Argo?

I have an Argo that I think is early 80s manufacture. It has been converted from the long stick to short sticks (it is hydraulic)
    I was wondering what you use for parking on steep ground with these things?
    The only other I Argo I have been around is a 2014 with the hand parking brake.

There is none in those years the newer years had a system that when you pulled back the too steering levers they could b locked all the way back so look at a 2000 and newer model and it will show you

So I assume my options are park on the level or build a lock that will lock both sticks back? Even if it's shut off in gear it will still roll correct?

I use a bunjie cord to hold the sticks back. Kind of crude but it works.

The Argo still has the potential to roll due to the belt not engaging, I think.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Thanks Rusty, that's what I assumed.

Ok here goes,the older air cooled machines do have an e brake system as long as it has hydraulic disk brakes. There are two metal straps that are located between the steering levers. They in turn each have a socket head cap screw for adjusting or fine tuning the parking brake system. The shcs contacts the lever where the return spring attaches to it. To engage the parking brake you pull back the steering levers and push the strap with the shcs down to contact with the nub on the inside of the levers. It is the same system as a conquest. Sorry that I do not have a pic to illustrate. Good luck. Rapidroy

Rapidroy, I don't see the pieces you are talking about on mine. It is hydraulic but was converted from the long sticks to short sticks.

the real early hydraulic brake ones didn't have the lock levers. Magnum and conquest do have the levers to lock the brake handles.

+ Reply to Thread