Wisdom of replacing axle spiral pins with bolts?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wisdom of replacing axle spiral pins with bolts?

Wisdom of replacing axle spiral pins with bolts?

I have read a couple of older posts where guys recommend replacing the spiral pins on the front axles on the old Argos with bolts. I can understand how this could ease keeping her running in the field, but I assume the pins were designed to be a cheap "weak link" in the system? Or were they just cheap ?
    The old Argo 8 wheeler I bought had about 50 broken ones in the belly pan & came with a box of replacements.
    I like the idea of replacing with bolts, but will this be likely to cause breakage somewhere else in the system, possible something much harder to replace on the trail & more expensive? I have heard grade 8 5/16" bolts, 2 bolts, grade 5, etc. I have double #50 chain.
    I need opinions & experience here as this is my first foray into the Argo world. If I replace should I just replace on front axle, or all axles?
    HELP!!!!!

By the way, I bought a parts argo & it had bolts in all axles....

Argos slightly newer than yours have splined axles and sprockets. Most of the drive train ,chain ect is the same. Pinned axles are a PITB. I see a lot of older argos with the long front axles double keyed. Pretty good fix for them them. Installing spline axles and sprockets is the best fix but very spendy$$. I have one friend with an oldie that has drilled all his holes to 3/8"(requires pulling chains) and cuts the side of heads off to install. He drills the end and tie wires them in. Uses grade 8 bolts and claims he is down to a couple a year from several pins a day. Just for more info the older MAX used 7/16" bolts to hold the sprockets on to 1.25 " axles and they also broke frequently. good luck

If an axle bolt is body bound it will work just fine. If there is any slop in the pin/axle/sprocket assembly or your threads are hitting the sprocket or axle on the pin, you will regularly break the pins.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I was in the same boat, allways braking and replacing the pins. I drilled another hole at 90 deg to the factory one and just added another pin. So far its been 8 years and have not had a problem...touch wood now!

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like there is no down side so that's probably the way I will go. I will try & find bolts with a long enough shoulder that there are no threads in the contact areas.

I always buy longer grade 8 bolts and cut them down.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread