Hunting trailers to pull behing Argos?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hunting trailers to pull behing Argos?

Hunting trailers to pull behing Argos?

Hey guys. If I get my project Argo ready in time for moose season this will be my first year hunting with my own (road with a friend in his last year) & I'm wanting to build a trailer to pull behind it.
    I'd love to see your designs (I'm a visual guy) & hear what you have found to be good or bad over the years. Things to look for, things to avoid etc.

Vance,

I didn't have a lot of time to put into building a trailer and don't currently have a shop. I bought a Pac-Rat (built by Plaschem). It is a 4-wheel model with walking beam suspension. Being fiberglass, it will float when empty, but I don't know how it will do loaded. I suspect it will do okay as long as it isn't loaded too heavy. I suspect it will float a considerable load, but the AATV will lose the ability to propel through the water with too much added waterline. I will let you know how it performs after I get it out into the field for hunting this year. Of course, you will want something before I can report, but I just picked it up last month.

It seems like a very well-built unit.

We hunt in a track vehicle area and have two trailers with walking beams and 4 tires. Even with tracks installed on them they tow well. The tow vehicle has to be heavier than the trailer. Ive stood in the swamp moving moose meat from a trailer loaded to heavy. The trailer helps hold up the rear of the buffalo trucks in the water. Be carefull in moving water the trailer will pull the rear downstream a lot. Less than 2 months till September 1.

Thanks guys.
    msafi65, I am all to aware of how fast moose season is approaching this year We will probably hold off on "the trip" until mid month, but hopefully can get out locally earlier.
    I want6 to build my own trailer but unfortunately this year time is not on my side. I don't even have the project Argo I bought running around the yard yet! With that in m ind I'm guessing I will be looking to pick up a used meat trailer locally that will get me through the season until I can build the one I want. Akcrawler, I have looked at the Pac-Rats & they are sweet, but out of my price range for now, but definitely looking forward to your report!
    And thanks for the tips msafi65. A friend & I broke in his brand new Argo last season (had .5 miles on it when we headed north) & neither of us had ever ridden in one before he put the .5 miles on it around the house. It was an adventure! Unfortunately, NOT a bloody one.

Vance - just something to consider- if you each have your own machine, it is very realistic (as long as you pack sensibly) to carry everything you'll need in an 8-wheel machine W/O needing a trailer. You'll end up with a pretty good load in the back, but it's not a big deal, and your machine is incredibly capable this way. Once in a while, you have to unload everything to work on your machine (bring your bug dope), but travelling w/o trailer is just so nice if you have an 8-wheeler. Once you get more than one guy to a machine, that goes out the window.

I think walking beams pull the best. As long as you size the spindles large enough and also make your beam removeable so that a single hub/tire can be put in it's place if needed, you can't go wrong. Even a basic straight tongue works, and the tires just need a moderate amount of travel (don't need to fully rotate). If you want to get fancy in either one of those areas you certainly can, but the spindle size and removeable beam take priority. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Buzz; 07-09-2015 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    As long as you size the spindles large enough and also make your beam removeable so that a single hub/tire can be put in it's place if needed, you can't go wrong.
    Hadn't even thought of that aspect! My partner has a walking beam setup with a homemade center that does not use a standard spindle so that's not an option on his. If I scratch build I will definitely go the way you describe. Would love to find hubs with Argo wheel spacing so I can have overlap on spares.
    My 12 yr old son may be riding with me. We will see. Trailer is not on the top of my priority list since my buddy has one.

We hunt with 6 wheel max's and the way we pack a trailer is a must. My track trailer has all plastic bearings in the walking beam. The cross and both beams is held on with 4 bolts and the standard wheel axle bolts back on. I kept the wheels to 44" outside for the narrow bridges.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    I've been around a lot of trailers and one problem we have to contend with where we are ( Northern Alberta) is the bottomless muskeg, loon poo swamps, and blow downs every 50 feet ( that might be an exaggeration but it feels that way at times...lol). Therefore we built a trailer that will carry extra payload without tipping over, getting the running gear hung up in tire sized holes, and have the ability to crawl over trees that all seems effortless to the Argo. This trailer has a low profile so it will not readily tip and will "sled" when in real soft terrain. The walking beam when used (this can be switched to single tires as well)is allowed to rotate a full 360 degrees which help immensely when one of the tires gets hung up in a hole or when going over larger blown down logs. I have sides installed on the unit now, and it worked great as long as there was weight in the Argo for traction. When we needed to float a short distance we would have to back into the water course as the Argo would float too soon...lol...and the trailer with approximately 600 pounds in it floated very well. Swimming with the unit was extremely slow to almost nothing, but we have only short distance and poled our way across most times, or winched as required.
    Just another alternative depending on your terrain.
    Cheers

Thanks AbertaRider. Our country definitely sounds like yours in places.
    What is the skidplate material on your trailer?
    I ended up with a useable trailer though it's not what I would have built by choice. But the price was right... I noticed it at my brother in laws place leaning against the garage for the first time Saturday & was admiring it. He said he had bought it years ago to use behind his 4 wheeler hunting & now just used it occasionally for yard work. I told him I was going to build a trailer for my Argo... Monday when I got home from work it was sitting in my yard with a note saying he might need to borrow my new trailer for his yard work occasionally :-) Brother in laws like that are hard to find :-)
    IMAG2435.jpgIMAG2434.jpg

I'm going to be tight on time getting the Argo going for this moose season so I think I will put a full length skidplate on the trailer so the frame isn't getting hung up & use it as is this year. For next year I hope to convert it to walking beam with hubs that will fit the argo wheels.
    Last edited by Vance in AK; 07-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Vance, if your looking for a tough tub and good lid on it look at the wagon Greer tank makes in Fairbanks. They sell the the tubs and lids separete. I have a picture of mine with a good size wolf on it on thread around page 7 under argo hunts. I drag that thing every where and because of its shape it bounces off the trees with no damage.

+ Reply to Thread