Am I overheating?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I overheating?

Am I overheating?

I ride mostly in the woods and don't have a good base of trails to ride yet so progress is slow but FUN! I can feel the heat coming through the front shield by my legs and once I have been running for some time my Argo will stall out at low throttle. It generally starts right beck up but once it has begun it continues to be a problem until the next time I ride. Doesn't seem to continue from one ride to the next and the only time it happens is when I can feel the heat. 2001 Argo Vanguard. Thanks for your words of advice.

It could be getting too hot but you could also simply have the idle set a little too low as well. Feeling the heat on your legs is normal. Next time you go out, take your hood off and see if it still acts up after the same amount of time of being on the trails.

Thanks for the tip Mike, being new to the wonderful world of righteous mud mobiles I wasn't sure how much heat to expect down there. I'll have to fit some kind of screen over the hood area to keep leaves and debris out but I will definitely try a ride sans hood to see if that helps. I suppose if that doesn't work a little idle adjustment wouldn't hurt, where I live it is routine to habe mid 90 degree weather in the summer to low teen weather in the winter so a couple marks on my adjustment screws to easily adjust for the season shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Happy Mudding!!!

When my Conquests really start to heat up, I can smell Coolant, and sometimes Brakes.

RD

My Argo is air cooled so there wouldn't be any coolant smell and my steering is manual so it hasn't produced any smell as of yet

You could try running a cool can.... it's a very simple set up. Grab a medium sized can and coil some copper tubing inside the can with an exit hole at the bottom and entrance hole at the top. Run your fuel lines to the entrance and exit lines, fill it up with some dry ice and put a lid on the can. This will keep your fuel cool and should stop any issues you may be having with hot fuel issues.

Thanks for the tip BOA, I don't have ready access to dry ice but I do have an ice machine in my shed. I usually bring along a small cooler to keep myself hydrated on my rides so I could certainly bring along enough ice to keep things chilled.

You can use ice and water instead of dry ice, just wrap some insulation around the outside of your heat exchanger to help it last longer. What you are experiencing is vapor lock, your fuel is getting too hot from the length of time it sits in the engine compartment before being consumed. Another option would be to create a fuel return.

+ Reply to Thread