'06 Argo Bigfoot taking on water

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '06 Argo Bigfoot taking on water

'06 Argo Bigfoot taking on water

Hey guys, been a while! Finally bought another argo, got the itch again. Think I got screwed over, however. Found an 06 with the T handle, never had one, wanted to try it, have kind of decided I don't like it as much as the older style. But, that is not where I got hosed, damned thing don't float! It had 175 hours on it when I got it, which I figured was time for bearings and chains. Asked the guy about it, he had had it for a long time and put most of the hours on it, swore up and down it was water tight and chains were quiet. Got there, chains were ok, not too noisy or stretched and there wasn't anywhere to try it in water so I took him for his word.

Finally got out to the campsite to try it out, got used to the steering, and dropped her in the creek. Floated around for about 2 minutes, checked the floor like I always do, dry. Floated around for about 30 more minutes and when I went to climb out on the bank heard splashing and looked behind and there was a decent amount of water. Leveled her out, about 2" of water in 30 minutes across the floor. Popped the drains and emptied it out and stayed on land for the rest of the trip. Went to clean it up the day after, stuck the hose in the machine and filled it up like a bath tub, 5 of the 6 axles had a small, steady drip coming out, one of the axles, rear left had like a steady small stream.

So, now what? Bearings need replaced? Grease it up real good and try again? Sell it and lie like he did to me!? I've done bearings on a machine before, I really don't feel like doing them again they are a pain!

Derek
    Derek

Yeah that sucks. I figure with these machines their capabilitiy,size and weight, probably best to go through them. A break down out on the trails could prove very difficult. Did you lift it off the ground and check wheels for wiggle? Not rubbing salt in the wound but I found with mine the robustness of these machines can hide some serious problems for some time.

Yeah I had all 6 off the ground and there was 0 play in the bearings. It seemed very tight, just let in water. There is no rubber seal or anything simple that could have gone bad is there?
    Derek

There are seals could be worn or grooved axle best to pull a axel and check . You should re grease to get water out of bearing

b
    Last edited by Deedeelin1; 06-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Yeah, bummer. Really not looking forward to it, but I suppose I could pull one apart and take a look. Where is everyone getting there bearings at these days?
    Derek

derek, lot's of folks are using buffalo bearing co. nice, knowledgable people. 716 874 1720. hopes this helps. good luck on your leak repair. johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by derekhonda View Post
    Yeah I had all 6 off the ground and there was 0 play in the bearings. It seemed very tight, just let in water. There is no rubber seal or anything simple that could have gone bad is there?
    Zero play-seems tight . I would grease it real good and try it again. You have nothing to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by philipatmaxfour View Post
    Zero play-seems tight . I would grease it real good and try it again. You have nothing to lose.

That's what I did. Darn near went through 1/2 of a tube on just the outside bearings, crossing my fingers that will solve it, probably fill it back up like a bathtub this weekend.
    Derek

+ Reply to Thread