Xti thoughts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xti thoughts

Xti thoughts

Hi from Scotland,

Is anyone here running an xti commercially? I'm looking to purchase a new one to add to an existing fleet of Argo's
    It will be run on tracks 100% of the time on 12" offset rims

Cheers
    Rory

Having done some repairs on a Centuar I'm impressed with the axle bearing-axle set up. Same as the XTI I believe. Very heavy axles running in oil bath. May look into auto chain oiler as option.

I have a buddy that runs one in the Gas Industry. In a Nut Shell, he says they are awesome, bulletproof machines. If I'm not mistaken, all they have ever done is regular maintenance, other than breaking one Bearing Extension (possibly defective, as ODG said its the only one ever replaced on an XTI)

RD

What about a hard cab kit for them?

My friend has one and the canvas Argo cab is rubbish

Their defense page has a pic of a different style cab. Still soft sides but the doors look a hell of a lot better.

Http://Argoatv.com/defense

We are running a pair of them, being used to get gas wells. The country we are in is absolute hell... swamps, trees and muskeg.

Couple things-

Chain and axle life is un-beatable. Both machines over 500hrs without so much as a chain, bearing or axle replacement.
    Auto greaser is a definite must.

The bad-
    These things are heavy, they are tough to get out of the water on creek crossings compared to an avenger or hdi.
    They are terrible on fuel.
    The new argo heat tires don't stand up well, we have changed almost every tire on these machines. The steel guides on the rubber tracks doesn't seem like such a hot idea.
    Throttle cables are a regular replacement item.. we pack 3 spares in each machine, we seem to change at least one per week per machine.
    The master pin setup on the tracks doesn't last, the pins wear out frequently and need to be replaced.
    It does not float as well as an hdi due to its weight.

All in all, they are an awesome machine!

I have been looking at the XTI for private use ,and enjoy hearing the pro's and con's of these units,just wondering why they are so hard on throttle cables and what doing you think would fix,solve the problem with the cables.Has your company thought of trying some of the after market tracks,might help the units get out of the water on creek crossings. (better traction)

Yah that's a crazy failure rate on throttle cables. Where are they letting go?

Quote Originally Posted by deerchaser View Post
    I have been looking at the XTI for private use ,and enjoy hearing the pro's and con's of these units,just wondering why they are so hard on throttle cables and what doing you think would fix,solve the problem with the cables.Has your company thought of trying some of the after market tracks,might help the units get out of the water on creek crossings. (better traction)
    The trouble with coming out of creeks isn't so much the tracks, but the sheer weight of the machine. We are looking into trying some different tracks, but im not sure that they will be the remedy we need.

As far as throttle cables go, it is just a poor cable quality. The cable always breaks on the end right at the throttle plate in the engine bay. We have tried a few back yard fixes, but so far the best remedy is to just pack a few spare cables and swap them as needed. This issue isn't exclusive to the XTI. All of our avengers and HDI's tend to eat through them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post

As far as throttle cables go, it is just a poor cable quality. The cable always breaks on the end right at the throttle plate in the engine bay. We have tried a few back yard fixes, but so far the best remedy is to just pack a few spare cables and swap them as needed. This issue isn't exclusive to the XTI. All of our avengers and HDI's tend to eat through them as well.
    Hi Dale7637- there were a few years that we had problems with the throttle cable on Avengers breaking right at the throttle plate,( though not as frequently as your situation). We found that the cable was getting burned by engine heat at that location. When we wrapped a piece of tinfoil right there the problem ended. I see new Avengers coming from ODG with shiny insulation at that location lately. I don't know anything about the XTI machines but hope this might help.

+ Reply to Thread