1967 argo transmission fluid

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1967 argo transmission fluid

1967 argo transmission fluid

Hey guys, I'm in the final phases of rebuilding my 67' Argo. I am wondering how much gear oil I need to fill the transmission. The transmission has 0134 stamped in the case, it has a fill/breather hole but no dipstick.
    [/IMG]

Wow, 1967! That must be a first year machine. If you've completely drained the tranny, 0.85 litres of 80W90 should be good. I think the dipstick was originally part of the fill plug, must have gotten lost along the way at some point. Maybe somebody here with something close to that vintage could measure out their dipstick for you. Found this site with some good vintage manuals:
    Free Argo Atv Manuals

Nothing back to 1967 unfortunately but pretty close. Could also be worth a call to the factory to get that info. I'm sure somebody would be interested in your project with a first generation machine. Their 50th anniversary is coming up. Could score yourself some swag!

Had a look at some of your project pics. Great job on that upper body!

Thanks for the info, and the compliment, she's far from original, but hopefully it will be reliable and useful with my modern "improvements"

1967 was the first year for the Argo, and the only year for headlights in the lower tub. I believe there is 5 in existence: 1 dad restored now at the Argo factory, 2 projects at our shop, 1 restored we have pictures of (but don't remember the owner's information), and this one. After looking through our vintage literature I only found a brochure. Hopefully the factory has some old files that have technical information.

That is a great looking machine
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

That is a very cool looking argo. Nice job.

Hate to hijack this thread, but I seem to have a transmission of the same style for my old Argo project! Trying to date my Argo and am realizing its definitely pre-70's.
    Mine is stamped "0289", which Im guessing is a serial number..so maybe 68 or 69? Not sure about production numbers.

My headlights are on the upper body so that must mean I'm above 67...any idea when they switched away from this transmission style?

Most notable difference I've seen between the 70's models and mine is that there is no dipstick or drain hole for fluid...also, the spring and BB that keeps it locked in gear is actually external on top, under the tab that is attached to the shift lever. From the diagrams, it looks like that assembly was moved to sit inside on the shaft in the 70's....sound right?

I have a 67 argo serial number 0008 in the process of restoring

+ Reply to Thread