1996 Argo Bigfoot fair price..........

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1996 Argo Bigfoot fair price..........

1996 Argo Bigfoot fair price..........

I am looking at picking up a 1996 Bigfoot with 249 hours on it. It has the big tires and also smaller ones and 13" plastic tracks. Of course it has a winch on it as well.

In needs one wheel bearing replaced, not sure about the axle, a chain tensioner needs to be replaced, and the brake fan needs to be replaced.

It had some sort of major engine issues at 50 hours and it was replaced under warranty.

I know the owner very well and have known him all my life. He is very well versed in mechanics and he believes the above issues are all that is wrong with it- and I trust him.

He is looking for me to make him an offer, and I have no idea what it is worth.

What do you guys think is a fair price for both of us, and what am I looking at roughly in repair costs?

thanks a lot,

ive been reading this forum like mad the past couple days looking for info on these units, but this is my first post

michael

one more question...

With the 13" tracks on it what will the overall width be? Just curious if it is going to go on my trailer or if I need to get another one. Also wondering if it will go inside an enclosed trailer I have

thanks again,

michael

I'm not going to be much help but I thought I would bump your thread by posting in it so that hopefully some of the Argo guys can chime in. I just don't know the fair market value for a Bigfoot. For the width, I am pretty sure the Bigfoot without tracks is 60" wide. I just don't know what the tracks do to it. Sorry I'm not more help.

I think $4500.00 is a good price for both of you.

Im going to look at it today and ill make an offer.

Is replacing a wheel bearing fairly simple, something I can do with basic tools, knowledge, and a video? He said he has like 3 or 4 video tapes that show how to basically maintain everything.

Easy enough if nothing is seized, seized parts start the fun.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

ok I bought it but cant pick it up for 2 weeks as its going to take a small miracle getting it out of his garage and he had to head back home- its at his cabin. He replaced the wheel bearing, so we are good there. he said the brake blower isn't working, but it also sat for 1.5 years so it could be a corroded wire or something, and the middle passanger side chain tensioner needs to be replaced.

is this the chain tensioner I need ofr a 1996 bigfoot?
    Argo Part 647-10 CHAIN TAKE-UP REPLACEMENT KIT

in want to get some parts ordered up and will order some extra plastic blocks as well.

It also needs a new battery. Do they just use a standard atv battery in these?

The winch wasn't working but he said it was last time he used it- I trust this guy with my life so I don't doubt anything he says.

He has the big tires on it and he said he would help me switch the tires and install the 13" plastic tracks when I pick it up.

As far as price he said what do you think its worth and I told him what was said here, I was told $4500 would be fair. He said how about $3000. He said when he bought it he paid $5000 for the machine and he thought he had close to $3000-$3500 into the tracks and extra tires needed. It has 249 hours on it.

I'll pick it up thanksgiving weekend when he can get back up here and hopefully have the blower fan working and chain tensioner replaced so I can get out for a ride before I head to Utah coyote trapping for 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help guys, ill get some pictures on here when I pick her up and im sure will have plenty more questions.

Sure doesn't look like that chain tensioner can be too hard to replace either.

michael

Picked up my argo today. Winch, brake blower, lights, hour meter, and volt meter didn't work after we jumped it to get it running. When I got it home I discovered the negative battery cable was very loose although it was tightened all the way. I removed the bolt and cut out 1/8" between the two halves of the lead terminal end with a cut off wheel. Put the bolt back in. Cleaned up the battery and reinstalled it. Blower motor. Lights, winch, volt and hour meter now all work. However I believe the battery is shot. Had it on a 1p amp charger most the day and still no luck. It starts on first or second pull of yhe rope. Tomorrow I'll pick up a new battery.

now the brake blower I bought can go back if they take rerurns, and so can the chain tensioner. He told me it was a 1996 but it ends up its a 1999 argo bigfoot. It takes a different style tensioner.

The 25 in tires on it are like new still having the knobbies and webs and so do the 22 in tires. The TRACKS Show A Little Wear But Are In Great shspe.

Congratulations on getting the Argo and having a quick, easy and cheap fix for some of the issues. Hope you have fun with it.

+ Reply to Thread