1988 Argo T Tecumseh OH160 (Is 16hp enough with tracks?)(Max replacement engine HP?)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1988 Argo T Tecumseh OH160 (Is 16hp enough with tracks?)(Max replacement engine HP?)

1988 Argo T Tecumseh OH160 (Is 16hp enough with tracks?)(Max replacement engine HP?)

Hi All,
    I owed a 1970 Max II in the past, I loved fixing it up, but I spent too much money it and ended up selling it finance the family vacation. expensive tires, new clutch, Vanguard 18hp, rebuilt transmission, Winch, Chains. I ended up selling it for a few dollars less than I had into it, not a heartbreak, I had my fun, but I can't do a "money is no object" build again.

Fast forward two years, Now I just bought a Orange Argo 6x6, Tecumseh OH160 (1988?) $300 not running, new Carb $40, $60 inner tubes (perhaps a mistake?) I have it running but I want to keep it cheap enough that I can afford to keep it around! So I'm planning on keeping the engine for the time being and filling the tires with air daily if necessary.

One thing I would invest in is tracks, The Max just didn't do as well as I thought it should in the steep tree choked forest where I ride on my parents farm. I prefer to ride on snow as it doesn't tear up the forest and lawn. the terrain forces you to drive on lots of off camber angles between trees so you can't always do a drive around the tough spots. I want to know how capable the 16hp would be with Tracks? I'll be honest the Max took all 18hp to drive these trails with beefy new tires and I suspect tracks cost you 2-3HP of performance? With the Argo's dry rotted 27 year old tires would these tires have to be replaced to drive the tracks or would the tracks protect them?

The Argo "T" was the lightest base model they sold If I hit the lottery and want to throw more horsepower at it how much can the other components take? It has double drive chains from the transmission to the jack shaft. It looks like Plenty of room for 22Hp-23Hp Vee Twin. I do swim it in the pond so I don't want a monster nose heavy engine any way. Would the clutch (1" shaft) transfer to a 22Hp Harbor Freight engine?

The clutch will transfer, but that engine is pretty large. Should you choose to go that route measure everything many times for clearance, once you get the engine in the controls all face the wrong direction so that will need addressing.

I think member stevereg could probably shed some insight on the T with tracks, you may need to run low gear.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

I had a 16 hp Vangard 6 x 6. It was slow with tracks, but a very
    capable machine for crawling thru mud and exploring in snow.
    Later i swapped in an 18 hp V-twin. Much better, engine weights the same, but
    has larger bore and stroke for the needed torque for tracks.

+ Reply to Thread