PHil., the bastard, Conquest Predator build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PHil., the bastard, Conquest Predator build

Installed the new volt meter yesterday, the Predator doesn't seem to have a large charging system and the new gauge seems slightly off, but I will hook up an ammeter because so far no luck figuring what amperage system it has.
    We took turns driving it around the yard, first me pretty dang hard about 15 minutes with the lights on until it ran out of gas yet again on me ( that aluminum tank is proving a pain for now, the engine is definitely not a fuel sipping vanguard) and then had dad drive it around a while. The main reason for the test was to check the heat factor off both the engine and the exhaust/body, the hottest point of the body read 128 degrees so with one small heat shield mod that seems it will be good, however without fully hooking up the brake fan ( switch in which was off and no hose yet) the brakes started smelling and getting hot so we stopped it. This thing is damn peppy and should make for a joy to drive, and we haven't even touched and screws but lowered the idle screw.
    Today got the brake duct adapted to the low mounted Predator and a new clamp should have that cured.
    We bent a new backrest out of conduit that may or may not reside there, also screwed down the body band made from the cut out sections of body band from ROPS installations.
    That's it this week.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

What no pics??
    ST400R ATTEX(Smiley)
    500 Super Chief

I love the smell of Blendzall in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    What no pics??
    Stupid flip phones. Too lazy this week.

If Gil knew how to use his Iphone you may have seen some nice video of a bunch of 8x8 full speed 90 and 180 degree power slides, no luck though.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Only a couple hours work today which was mainly the battery box, which was lost.

Installed it and now you can see how tight everything has become after mounting the Predator as it is much wider at the bottom side of the engine due to the fan shroud.

It all fits but is tight, you can see that the brake duct was not only cut at the hose connection but also at the discs, it was cut at the discs when trying to figure the cut needed at the hose end so it could be slid in and out of the powerpack. The brake hose needed to be split to move further up the duct and there is also a pvc 45 degree elbow stuffed in the duct to guide and keep the hose where it needs to be.

Ok so the charging system seems to be 7 amps not much and the draw is apparent with the cheap voltmeter that is slightly lower than actual voltage. Checked the Honda charging systems and the showed a single charge coil at 3 amps and a triple coil unit at 17 amps, hoping to get lucky placed a Kohler 20 regulator in place but no luck, still 7-9 amps. emailed Harbor Freight and confirmed it to be 7 amp. Next the important pre trail test of will it charge, let the machine idle in the yard for about 120 minutes with the headlights and blower fan on which showed a constant 10.5 on the gauge until they were shut off and gauge showed normal 12. Shut it off fearing the worst but started right up, started 15 more times with now noticeable change, so, next trail test.

This weekend we made some front seats in between working on another machine, my helper did the seats and needs a backpad cushion adjustment as it is thin, I did the backrest after a poor attempt at a copy of the original. My miscalculations and the overall geometry of the backrest proved a problem that had to be modified and created a little more work for later.

Thanks for the update on the HF motor Jim!
    Banned

Saturday 1-30; invited for a ride on Sunday so went up a put the supertacks we had around on, drove machine hard about 20 minutes until it ran out of fuel yet again. Another gallon and loaded it on trailor.
    Sunday, drove out to Tom's for the ride, slapped his tracks on. With my gas and Tom's gas we filled the machine being tired of running out, met Marc and went off to ride, well not really. Seems we have a fuel issue, between the contamination from one of the 3 cans and the delivery issue it takes more than a half hour later we finally get it going, with what appears to be a failing fuel pump.
    Not having any real fear of hurting the engine I' m off full throttle with no regard, there's only 6-8 inches off s ow left but very slushy needing some umph, this doing great for an m trans with an intentionally worn belt (to clean up clutch surfaces) until the first corner where I ease up and then mash it to blaaaaaaaah, jerk the choke on and off and off he goes until I let off again and same same.
    Went back and let lindsay take him out a lap. She doesn't like driving tracks as of now.
    Marc is ready so off we go ,spent half the time running quarter choke half choke no choke but pulled me Lindsay and boomer no problem, flat out, down the bank up the bank, through the creek in the tight thicket and right behind Marc the whole time. Lost the right rear from puncture on the way back, loaded it up and home after about 1-1\2 hour time on machine.

The brake fan was on most all of the time, charging system kept up. Need a little more heat shield were I thought it might ,but other than that Phil and the predator work well together less the current fuel issue.

So far I'd do another. 6-1\2 hours total run time so far.

Tracked Phil. after ride with Tom and JBF, flat right rear tire at end of ride and another on ride from Tom's.

All the bad fuel stuff above is just that, bad fuel. Funny how we remember things when sitting here and not when we are there. Seems I poured bad fuel we removed from Gil's machine in October into this machine, Doh!
    After removing the bad fuel and filters and replacing pump all is well, while sitting here it occurred to me the fuel pump is probably ok and I'll reinstall it . I'm assuming it was too much for the fuel pump to pull water infested fuel through 3 fuel filters, we are also at the stage it is down to two filters now.

Time for another test run soon, as if it ran ok while playing with the choke on bad gas it ought to do good on good gas.

+ Reply to Thread